Author: joeching

FUTURE OF LANGUAGES [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-1-19 07:13:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-1-18 07:21 AM

Lack of courtesy aside, you do have at least one good point in here, and that is that none other than the nation (in the ethnic and not political sense of the word) to which a language belongs  ...

hey, guys, we r talking pass each other.  let me give u some concrete examples:

when we do computer program, do we always use the full words and try to be correct with grammar and spelling?  in case u r not a programmer, i ll tell u WE DONT.  this is exactly what i m doing.

but the main thing has nothing to do with english.  it's the break through in computing technology -- GO BACK TO MAKE THE PROGRAMMING IN CONVERSATONAL MODE, BUT EASE UP ON MAKING IT ENGLISH CORRECT, JUST SO WE DONT APPEAR LIKE IDIOTS!

go to ping-pong.net and just click around and u ll see there is no magic involved.

and no computer is more polite and friendly and powerful than this one that talks with truncated english.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-19 07:19:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-1-18 07:30 AM

Yet it's OK to strip the English language? Isn't this a double standard? Why not use another language like Loglan. Not being a national tongue, it thus belongs to whoever wants to learn it. Wit ...

the english is not stripped.  only the computer language to be used to supplement china's technology pursuit and used to talk to computer is stripped.

u guys are turning a techical breakthrough i m proposing into a political football. if u really object to china and nonenglish speaking people borrowing english for the time being, we might just bite the bullet and adopt the proposal just sent to me by my korean friend(my buddy from caltech, possibly the most accomplish computer expert from korea):

Hi Joe.

I am impressed with your Korean language prowess.  What do you think of the Korean alphabets?  With the ubiquity of digital technology, many scholars around the world are beginning to “discover” the ingenuity of the written Korean language and they seem to be invariably marveled at its digital friendliness.  I have heard someone saying that it’s the most scientific written language presently used in the world (apparently the Esperanto is more scientific, as it was invented much later, but it is not currently in use).

Here is a proposition for you to make a real impact: can you promulgate the Korean alphabets to China so that the most populous nation in the world can achieve a literacy of 99% and become the true super power in the world overnight?  With the Chinese characters, it may take a much longer time to become a real super power if at all.

I think the above proposition is much more realistic to achieve than your ideological dream to battle the poverty in N. Korea .  I advise you again not to get involved in such a dangerous game in the most repressive regime in human history.  For one time, with my due respect to you, I think you should listen to your wife who sounds much more rational and wise than you on this particular issue.

Jong
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-19 07:32:33 |Display all floors
tianyuanedu,  the subset is strictly a computer language.  it is not intended to be used to talk to humans.  making it vocal would meet a lot resistance with the shy asians.  also, it only need to serve as a reminder to the users of computer, not necessarily following any rules.  the computer intelligence i developed will make every rigorous, more than any human can do.

even if this practice become global, the english speaking may complain about the back english, but it is still infinitely better than looking at the incomprehensible c or fortran.

as u see in the video(good for u!) it is more than meet the eye.  there is also this beast call software robots, which, poor english or not, would get the job done without ur intervention.  also , u see, the video is made in 1991.  just imaging how shocked i am that the world of computing is still in the dark ages after spread the news of this way of getting the world computed easily.  we r bette at tripping over each other than to cooperate as proposed by robacus.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-19 15:43:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by joeching at 2009-1-18 20:15

chinese is gear toward cultural exchange and development, or the development of the human being himself; english, machines.  here's something i wrote on the subject:

HOLLOWING OF CHINESE CH ...

I quite agree with you that the traditional Chinese characters are far better than the simplified characters.

Chinese scholars from both sides of the straits should meet together and come to an agreement on restoring the use of the traditional Chinese characters on the mainland.

Of course,  in order to promote harmony,   a few simplified characters could be retained and adopted on both sides of the straits.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-19 15:48:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2009-1-19 10:15

Pas d'accord du tout, Monsieur!

The grammar of SLAVIAn languages is more complex (more cases), yet they are completely masterable. Even more challenging are Semitic languages, again on acco ...

Bonjour,  monsieur.

You are so smart,  you should have no problem learning to speak and to read Chinese in a few months.

Don't forget that Chinese is the language of the future.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-20 04:29:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chinpatriot at 2009-1-18 11:43 PM

I quite agree with you that the traditional Chinese characters are far better than the simplified characters.

Chinese scholars from both sides of the straits should meet together and come to ...

good point.

i personally is working toward a unified asian language, among china, japan and korea.  the japan and korea would support the traditional more than the simplied.  asia need to invest 10 years to unify her language,then itself.

yeah, unification of language should be on the table for china's own reunification, not the political, military and economic nonsense.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-20 04:34:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by joeching at 2009-1-20 04:29

good point.

i personally is working toward a unified asian language, among china, japan and korea.  the japan and korea would support the traditional more than the simplied.  asia need to invest 10 years to unify her language,then itself.

yeah, unification of language should be on the table for china's own reunification, not the political, military and economic nonsense.

I think you're underestimating the difficulty involved for a Korean to learn Chinese. I'd met Koreans in China learning Chinese, and they had difficulty learning it too. If you're looking for a language of diplomacy that the educated classes and the diplomatic elites could learn, like English today, then fine. If you're looking for a language that all Koreans or Japanes can learn as a commoon second language, then the Korean script would likely be your best option, not the Chinese script.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.