Author: joeching

FUTURE OF LANGUAGES [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-1-18 01:06:18 |Display all floors
If the aim is a language that can be used both as a human language and as a machine languge, you really should look to Lojlan, as it was desigend with the same intent. One problem with Lojlan though is that, though it is easier to learn than national languages, it's still much more difficult than it could otherwise be. This could prevent some people from learning it. This is why I believe that it would make more sense to just create two separate languages, one human and one mechanical, each serving their indented purposes as efficiently as possible. The common people would learn the human international language as a common second language, while the machine language would be learnt by those who need to learn it for technical purposes.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-18 01:26:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2009-1-17 15:26
So, Joe, if I understand you well you want to retain English for pragmatic, very business-like reasons but you want to banish the language from your ears and from everybody's mouth?

Realistic???

Why don't you simply create a new technicalspeak based on those English and other nouns that you would need to name things?

Your language would be a dead one good only to name things, not speak (communicate, talk about) things and actions. You can borrow those words from English and from other languages (to name Chiense dynasties you won't need any English word).

I am just so sceptical whether anyone would bother studying your terminology - except your anglophobic fellow-demonisers.

A few points on this:

1. Most want to learn English for strictly pragmatic reasons anyway. Just ask the average Chinese how many English literary works he's read. You'll find that the closest thing many of them might have come to a literary work in English would be some essay they might have read in some IELTS preparatory textbook. So from that standpoint, Joe's suggestion is really just a reflection of popular opinion, with Joe being in the majority as far as that attitude goes. I'm not saying it's right, and I'm just as disgusted as you are that the culture of English as an international language has become so materialistic. But what do we expect when statistics show that few really learn it well and that it can make the difference between success and failure in life. They face alot of pressure, so feel that there is no time for literary pursuits. Again, I don't agree with it, but we must understand the problem before we can correct it.

Now as for the accusation that Joe hates or fears English. I don't know Joe well enough to comment on his behalf, but I just want to clarify that the promotion of an international auxiliary language is usually motivated by a sense of working towards justice and not against English. It's generally motivated by being for something (i.e. justice) and not against something as you seem to misunderstand.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-18 01:35:51 |Display all floors
Seneca,

You might be interested in the following poll too:

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... page%3D1#pid1580498
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-18 04:22:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-1-17 07:43 AM

This is grossly oversimplified. I was actually shocked to find the PRC to be more materialistic than even Canada (and Canada is quite materialistic too unfortunately). So I don't think we can s ...

yes, i want go backward -- to asia's past cultural splendor, instead of reacting to the barbarism of the past few centuries.

this anit-elite sentiment is the saddest part of reaction to the barbaric concept of demobcrazy.  dont we want to be the best we can be rather than catering to the mediocre.  yes, with culture, we want the former, but with barbarism we cant be too careful.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-18 04:27:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-1-17 08:39 AM

I don't think so. I think what Joe is getting at (if I understand correctly) is to create a human language that is easier to learn than English but still capable of the full range of expression ...

i want to create a unified cultural language for a cultural group(like e.asia) and a subset of tech language for the whole whole.  the former is each to his own.  the later is in drastically simplified english, for now.

i m doing this bcs it's all already there.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-18 04:34:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-1-17 09:06 AM
This is why I believe that it would make more sense to just create two separate languages, one human and one mechanical, each serving their indented purposes as efficiently as possible.

u got it!
The common people would learn the human international language as a common second language, while the machine language would be learnt by those who need to learn it for technical purposes.

u r going too far.  we need first and can only unify a culture language for each distinct culture at this point.  then may be decide among all the unified culture, hopely not too many, which one we should adopt globally, or destroy the globe in doing that.

but u and i are one on the tech language.  have u tried to take a peak on
my website(really a whole computer, with the vnc(virtual network computing) server:

1st link on ping-pong.net
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-1-18 04:44:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-1-17 09:26 AM

A few points on this:

1. Most want to learn English for strictly pragmatic reasons anyway. Just ask the average Chinese how many English literary works he's read. You'll find that the closes ...

if i hate anything, its the trashing of the chinese traditional characters and the disastrous effects, as reflected in asian countries' rush to mechanize their language for materialistic aims.  forget about all the treasuries in all the museums and buried in tombs, nothing is more precious than our pre-barbarism language, which embodied our culture.

as to english, it serves its purpose as a universal computing language, at least for now.  i v trim it down to be learnt in 2 weeks.  add a day or two if u want to participate the the development of my macro-operating system, robacus.  also, i could switch english to chinese or korea(after i learn it in a few months) in one day, with our own robotic editor.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.