Views: 3201|Replies: 3

Choice and why? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-11-25 08:26:24 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-25 16:32:49 |Display all floors
This is a tough grammar question....

I think the answer is C.

You should look up information on the subjunctive structure of sentences.

As for why I think this, unfortunately I am unable to answer this clearly except by personal usage....this is what we often say when talking with someone in this situation. If they do not answer the phone, we often ask "where were you"?

I know some people will say answer A. I think this answer (and the others) is not correct.
Usually in conversations people will ask this question when some is talking about a place they went to. If I said "I went on vacation last month." Someone might ask "where did you go"?

I think either answer would be understood by most people. But as we know, these grammar questions exist for a reason, and only one answer is going to be correct for the sentence structure.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-25 22:55:08 |Display all floors

My two cents: C and D

C may indicate 'Where were you at the minute I called you this morning?, while D may imply 'I' called 'you' again in the afternoon but still no luck.

Stand to be corrected.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-26 16:15:14 |Display all floors
pokikiko's answer is correct.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.