Views: 2693|Replies: 4

Straight sand [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-10-31 13:20:59 |Display all floors
Topdressing
Often applied on the heels of aeration, topdressing serves to amend the soil profile or simply fill in low spots that develop on fields during normal use. Straight sand is the most common topdressing material, though sand can be blended with organic peat (for added nutrients) or calcined clay (for improved drainage). Because aeration, and particularly core aeration, enhances topdressing's effectiveness, the entire two-pronged process should be scheduled to coincide with a field's substantial down time - perhaps in April or, more likely, November.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2008-10-31 21:39:08 |Display all floors
完全只用沙子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-1 06:17:15 |Display all floors
这是一种material,所以我希望用名词格式的专业说法。
纯沙?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-1 15:38:29 |Display all floors
In English we will often add the word "straight" to something to mean that it is only that item and nothing else.
For example, if I said I like my drinks "straight" it would mean that if I like whiskey, I would not want it mixed with something else such as water or soda.
If I were to say I like my chocolate bar "straight", that would mean I don't want a chocolate bar that had something else in it such as fruit or nuts.
The word "straight" can be taken to mean "pure", but if one meant "pure", we would probably not say the word "straight".
If I were to give a definition for this type of usage, I would say "straight" means "unmixed with another item or items".
So in this case, "straight sand" has no other material mixed in with it, such as gravel, moss, compost, fertilizer, etc.
Perhaps there is an equivalent word in Chinese that has this meaning usage.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2008-11-1 21:42:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pokikiko at 2008-11-1 03:38 AM
In English we will often add the word "straight" to something to mean that it is only that item and nothing else.
For example, if I said I like my drinks "straight" it would me ...

Very good and clear explanation.  净 may be a close Chinese equivalent.

-

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.