Views: 42884|Replies: 244

Is China the greatest civilization that has ever existed in the universe? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-10-4 02:24:36 |Display all floors
Sorry, I couldn't resist.  All of these "pat yourself on the back" threads are fascinating.  It's been an interesting view into (probably a very narrow portion of) China's collective pysche.  How many times do the Chinese have to whine about the Japanese, the Brits, Europeans more generally or the Americans?  (interestingly, they don't complain about the Mongol or Manchu takeovers!) How many times do they have to innumerate the inventions of Chinese?  How many times will they copy what other major powers have already done and act as if it
s some great new advancement for civilization?
Really, the question I'd like for people to address is "Why does China have such a poor self image?"
You can deny that Chinese do, but all of these posts illustrate the lack of self-esteem dramatically.
I look at China and think, "OK, they wasted much of the Twentieth Century, but GOOD LORD this is one of the greatest civilizations in the history of the world!"  Maybe the greatest.  
But still that poor self-image and the need to deflate others.  That should really be Others, for those of you who know something about sociology.  
And, yes, I'm well aware of China's history of interaction with other global powers, but the poor-self image of those in the PRC is unique.  You shouldn't have to tell yourself how great you are!  But that seems to be all that most of these threads are trying to do.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-4 03:46:17 |Display all floors

jia yang gui zhi just could not make up his mind

Is he Chinese?  Is he American?  

He looks into the mirror every morning and hated the mug, and wished  that he has blond/blue instead.  But reality bites and bites hard.  He had always thought that joining the China bashers to denounce any and all things China would make him "Hip."  But no matter what he tried, the mainstream knows no difference between a "good Chinese" vs. a "bad Chinese."  He is even more confused that despite his China bashing, it looks like with the great improvements we see in and about China, the China bashing by the "mainstream" actually greatly decreased!!  Touche.  

So he is confused, and cannot make up his mind on whether to cheer or to boo when China again announces great accomplishments.  

It shows.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-4 11:03:00 |Display all floors
It's pretty pernicious, actually. It drives some of the world's most conspicuous consumption in a country with some of its most conspicuous brutal poverty.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-4 13:46:36 |Display all floors
Tongluren is spouting off at the mouth again about things which he is ignorant.  He has no idea what my race is (it shouldn't matter) and no idea where I was born.  But, running on and on about things of which he has no idea is what he does!  
And if you really think that hosting the Olympics and having a space walk are "great accomplishments" (a half century late), I'd suggest you have little faith in the tremendous abilities of your countrymen.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-4 14:08:54 |Display all floors
Tongluren, let's propose a one day ceasefire (you can respond to my above posts first, if you'd like).  I'd seriously like to know more about your situation so that I might be able to understand your point of view better.  Are you a Chinese liuxuesheng?  Have you been in the States long?  
I'm an American.  We don't look in the mirror and wonder who we are.  We are from every country on earth and many are mixes of people who have come from every country on earth.  Unless we are first or second generation immigrants, we generally look in the mirror and see an American...not a Chinese, English, Russian, Nigerian or Iranian person (yes, there are actually many Iranian Americans).  Our interest in our ancestry is just that, an interest, it doesn't define us.  Race, unfortunately, does to some extent define us.  As you can see with the presidential election, this is slowly improving.
So, you are not enjoying your time in the US?  I can imagine why.  I think it is particularly difficult for Chinese males who go to America (faults on both sides...should be another thread).  I've seen it frequently at my university.
So, if you don't mind, tell me about yourself.  I'd be interested to know you better.

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2008-10-4 14:40:54 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2008-10-4 14:45:34 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.