Views: 2430|Replies: 5

Love or career? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-9-8 13:36:06 |Display all floors
By Chen Xiangfeng (China Daily Staff Writer)
       Rumors of a love affair between two-time Olympic table tennis women's singles champion Zhang Yining and teammate Chen Qi have been doing the rounds on the Internet, stunning fans and coaches of the sport's governing body.
      163.com reported on Tuesday that Zhang, the undisputed world No 1 women's paddler for the past eight years, has been in love with Chen for a year, although Zhang has said in interviews she is single.

The national team manager, Huang Biao, denied a love affair was going on between the pair.
     China's table tennis officials prohibit national players from having love affairs with members of the same team - though this is an unwritten law.

Previously, some players have sacrificed their career to maintain their relationships, while others have left their loved ones.

Men's head coach Liu Guoliang was on the same national youth team as player Wang Jin when she was 16, but after falling in love with Liu she had to leave for a career in Japan.

"It was made very clear that it was impossible to continue our relationship if we were on the same team," Wang said. "I hoped he would have a successful career on the national team so I left for Japan."

Hard-working Liu became the leader of the national team, winning a bunch of world and Olympic titles and was then appointed head coach of the men's team after retirement in 2002. Four year later, the two got married.

Just before the Athens Olympic Games, China expelled four table-tennis players, including Bai Yang, 19, reportedly the girlfriend of men's world No 1 Ma Lin; and 17-year-old Fan Ying, who went out with the then newly-crowned ITTF pro tour finals winner Wang Hao. World No 9 Li Nan, 21, and her boyfriend Hou Yingchao, 21, were both dismissed.

The harsh punishment meted out to the players triggered a debate on whether Chinese athletes should have romances with their teammates.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-8 14:09:28 |Display all floors
hmm though a romance between two team members in the same team could indeed lead to many misunderstanding or unfairness. it is still their OWN private life.  China should not forbid any ahtlete to go out with their own teammate.
"日旧生情“ is the Chinese saying (being together for long ago, romance will be build up automatically). it is very reasonable for teammates to fall in love with eachother as they practive EVERYDAY and dont have time to make friends or even go out.

both athletes and boss of the team should "公司分明", knowing to dvide very clearly WORK and LOVE Life.
if both can do that. I think they should have the right have romanced with your own teammate.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-8 14:32:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by auchengyu at 2008-9-8 14:09
hmm though a romance between two team members in the same team could indeed lead to many misunderstanding or unfairness. it is still their OWN private life.  China should not forbid any ahtlete to  ...

yes, it is reasonable for them to have a love affair since they have no time to date with anyone else. As  first-class athletes, they are ordinary people. They have right to love and to be loved. Under the harsh punishment, they have to sacrifice or hide their true feelings. sad

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-8 14:38:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mollyshan at 8-9-2008 14:32

yes, it is reasonable for them to have a love affair since they have no time to date with anyone else. As  first-class athletes, they are ordinary people. They have right to love and to be loved. ...

yep indeed sad. cant help it...but I think this is not only a Chinese thing. Athletes in the whole world are struggling with this problem I guess...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-8 15:02:16 |Display all floors
It is good to find a partner who has the same interests with you, whether an athlete or an ordinary person. I wish they could have a bright future. After all, they have experienced more hardships than we have.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-8 15:13:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mollyshan at 8-9-2008 15:02
It is good to find a partner who has the same interests with you, whether an athlete or an ordinary person. I wish they could have a bright future. After all, they have experienced more hardships t ...

totally agree :).  JUST because they struggled much together, endured many hope, pain, loss and finally win. They understand eachother the most. Very suitable as your love partner indeed~~~~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.