Author: chinadaily

German broadcaster suspends Chinese worker [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-30 00:09:00 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-30 00:38:33 |Display all floors
I just studied the context in which Danhong Zhang made one of those heavily criticised remarks that led to her suspension. I found the following:

http://www.bdzv.de/bdzv_intern+M5a58d7fcf25.html

Danhong Zhang was participant of a podiums discussion on press freedom.

Über eine gewisse Freiheit für die Medien be­richtete auch Danhong Zhang, einst Germanistik-Studentin in Peking und heute stellvertretende Leiterin der China-Redaktion der Deutschen Welle. Die Medienlandschaft Chinas habe sich in den letzten 15 Jahren völlig verändert, konsta­tierte Zhang. Der Staat habe sich aus der Voll­subvention des Rundfunks zurückgezogen, gleichwohl würden die TV-Stationen „im Werbe­geld schwimmen“. Aufgrund der großen Kom­merzialisierung seien die Sender gezwungen, spannende Themen anzupacken. So hat es aus Zhangs Sicht in der Geschichte Chinas bei der Berichterstattung noch nie eine Tiefe und Breite der Sozialkritik wie heute gegeben. „Die Grenzen werden täglich neu getestet.“

Also Danhong Zhang, former Germanistic student in Beijing and today vice director of the editorial office of the Deutsche Welle, reported on a certain freedom for the media. The media scene of China has completely changed in the last 15 years, stated Zhang. The state has withdrawn from a complete subvention, while the TV stations are now swimming in advertisement money. Because of the strong commercialization broadcast stations are compelled to look for more fascinating topics. Thus, according to the view of Zhang, the reporting got a depth and width of social critics that never had occured before in chinese history. "The limits are tested anew every day"

Admittedly, I am quite perplex that such a statement finally lead -together with other statements- to such a harsh reaction of the Deutsche Welle.

As soon as I can dig out the original context of those other statements, I will post them here, so that everybody can judge on a firm basis by himself the reasons for the suspension of Danhong Zhang by Deutsche Welle.
[b]Horace T. West[/b]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-30 01:00:37 |Display all floors
On German webpages I found only the following announcement of the talk show where Danhong Zhang made those remarks that were her undoing:

http://www.general-anzeiger-bonn ... 2003%3A25%3A00%2B02

I am sorry guys, but could not find any webpage with exact wording and whole context of her statement
[b]Horace T. West[/b]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-30 05:47:52 |Display all floors
Her comment is silly.

Article 3 states: "Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person."

China seems to violate all 30 articles.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-30 06:55:05 |Display all floors

Article 3

Article 3 states: "Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person."

America has long forgotten that, in its display of militaristic hubris in the last half century.  Iraqis are mere "Hajis" and thus subhuman and not "everyone," so they have no rights at all in front of the Yanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-30 07:10:40 |Display all floors
Right again Tong!

Iraqis aren't really human at all. If you had been paying attention, you'd know they were Venusian cyborgs.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-30 08:04:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by peterb at 2008-8-30 00:40
Something like Stasi documents, perhaps?

Stasi, that was the state security apparatus for a totalitarian co.mm.un.ist government, right ?

Well of course china would have her own version of the Stasi, (with Chinese characteristics, of course).

As you know, but are not prepared to admit, the jailing of some of these journalists was for such crimes as revealing editorial "guidelines" on handling the anniversary of TAM'89 (guidelines meaning "don't mention it at all") and feeding domestic media reports to foreign media companies.

You're making yourself look even more stupid, on this topic.
Quit while you're ahead.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.