Views: 4231|Replies: 9

blood donation -- doing for whom? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-26 00:11:37 |Display all floors
I see that many ppl donate blood in the street, and what i have in my mind is that if there is somewhere i can sell my blood for better life. I search online, and figured it out that it's illegal to sell blood.

i have heard that  ppl need to pay a lot to get blood when they are sick in hospital. if the blood is collected free of charge, why cost so much? where is the money gone?

if the hospital needs to delegate the blood according to the amount of money, why the law doesn't allow the needed ppl to get money while they are helping sick ppl by selling their blood? who knows maybe the money to them is as important as life.

and if the healthy ppl can choose to sell blood, there wouldn't be so difficult for poor ppl to buy blood when need. cuz more ppl sells blood, the cheaper we can get blood. it's win win situation.

dont even mention it's an ethic issue if the government thinks selling the blood to patients is legal.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-26 00:23:59 |Display all floors

hospital treatment should be FREE to all...

regardless of your race, religion, income status, age...but for some countries are not really so in practice & that's totally absurb  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-28 17:12:14 |Display all floors
blood donation is a free thing,no push.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-28 17:17:01 |Display all floors
Desperate people sell their blood in excessive amounts and will hence be subject to health problems, causing harm than good.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-28 19:24:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ronlee at 2008-8-26 02:11
blood donation -- doing for whom?

I see that many ppl donate blood in the street, and what i have in my mind is that if there is somewhere i can sell my blood for better life. I search online, and figured it out that it's illegal to sell blood.

i have heard that  ppl need to pay a lot to get blood when they are sick in hospital. if the blood is collected free of charge, why cost so much? where is the money gone?

The problem is when people are paid for their blood, the people who are most motivated to sell blood are those who desperately need the money and many of these may be unwell, diseased or drug addicts.

In many western countries people do not get paid at all for blood donations.
In Australia, you may get a cup of tea and some biscuits as a thankyou.

The blood which has been donated is tested, (to ensure that there are no diseases or viruses) may have blood products like plasma extracted and stored safely.
The people like the nurses, laboratory workers and others involved in blood collection, are paid a normal wage, and so even though the blood is donated free, there are considerable costs involved in collection.
This is why there may be costs involved for the recipients of blood products.
In Australia people who need blood for surgical procedures usually have these costs met by their health insurance or government medical care.

In Australia, donating blood is seen as contributing to the community good, the blood collection is managed by the Australian Red Cross society which is a non-profit organisation. As far as I know selling your own blood here is illegal, and I totally agree with that.

I hope this helps explains things.

JB
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-2 16:31:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-8-28 19:24

The problem is when people are paid for their blood, the people who are most motivated to sell blood are those who desperately need the money and many of these may be unwell, diseased or drug a ...

the blood should be tested before collecting, so i dont thing diseased or drug addicts has their chances...

the price of the blood used in hospital is much higher than which it's needed for wages and facility cost as i know....if no donation for medical facility and volunteers for collecting blood, the organization is not eligible to do promotion and encourage ppl to donate things. once the stuff get paid, that is not an non-profit organization.

"Desperate people sell their blood in excessive amounts and will hence be subject to health problems, causing harm than good. " -- this is a problem of self-education, and if desperate ppl can't sell blood  only makes them more desperate or devastate, and this can course violence or  social problem, it will do good for no one. and ppl are working hard everyday, student study day and night, athletes train intensly, most of them are excessive and have done much hurm to healthy. why working overtime and study hard are legal?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-4 15:19:09 |Display all floors
Blood donation makes people feel the warmness of the society, but I don't think it is an effective way to serve people who are in need for help. Once I watched a program on CCTV1, it reported that some people who are not qualified for blood donation supply their blood for money. And some evil people in purpose of making money sold the unclear blood to "blood center", then someone has been  infected by the terrible disease through blood transferring. Blood donation should be taken much serious test, then it will take its useful function.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.