Views: 4349|Replies: 2

questions here , come on in and help me! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-21 14:30:40 |Display all floors
1.I saw a bottle where the dice were.
2. I saw a bottle in a place where the dice were.

whether the above sentences have the correct structure grammatically?? and they don't have the same meaning, do they?
help me ,please!

It is a one-way system ____ you invite them to visit, they come and they don't invite you back.
" where " is the answer but can we use "that"?????????
help me and tell me why.

thanks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 14:46:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by carrieme at 2008-8-21 14:30
1.I saw a bottle where the dice were.
2. I saw a bottle in a place where the dice were.

whether the above sentences have the correct structure grammatically?? and they don't have the same meani ...

The first one is correct, it means that you saw the dice and next to them there was a bottle (you didn't think about the bottle at the time when you saw it, but you remember it being there)

The second one would be better if it read.
I saw a bottle in the place where the dice were.

Because, you are talking about one set of dice, and you know exactly where they were. the bottle was next to them.

If you say
""I saw a bottle in a place where the dice were"
it means that there is more than one set of dice, maybe in a room you have four sets of dice and the bottle was near one of the sets.
It is similar to saying
I saw a mushroom near the trees in a forest. (There are lots of trees in a forest, it could be near any of them)

hope that helps

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-10-30 06:44:22 |Display all floors
I will attempt a partial answer to your second question.

This sentence is comparing a situation, in essence....
You invite them to your party, they come.
They have a party, they don't invite you.

The dictionary defines the word "where" a number of ways, one of which is an adverb of "in what respect (relation), or "way".
This is why the word "where" is the answer as it is telling us the "way" or "relation" of this situation, of making an invitation, but not being invited back. (or telling us what is the the "one way system").

If you tried to use the word "that", its definition as an adverb does not allow for the usage as a comparison or to show the relation (respect) of two things. Here is what the dictionary say about its usage as an adverb;

Of quantity, extent, or degree. (an amount or how much).
To modify an adjective of adverb. This would be descriptive.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.