Views: 36685|Replies: 77

Who is greater, Phelps or Bolt? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-21 09:06:54 |Display all floors
Michael Phelps won 8 golds, while Usain Bolt won the golds and broke the world records in the 100m and 200m, testing human limit. Who is greater?
Single choice vote, There are a total of 0 people participating in the poll
43.75% (28)
56.25% (36)
Your current user group has no poll permission

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 09:21:14 |Display all floors

Bolt By Far

Bolt is much more the athlete - UNLESS he is found to be taking performance enhancement drugs.

Phelps and the entire American swim team wear these slippery suits that help break swimming records, and no matter how you try to explain it, it is still "performance enhanced" (or just plain cheating).   I am told that all Olympics swimmers can have ONE of the suits if he or she asks for it.  But you'd have to wonder.  There is no doubt that  the American swimmers each have many such suits, and their versions are custom fit (to make sure that there are no extraneous pieces or lumps or pockets that might cause drag), and and they get to train in the suits all year round.  If they ripped one, there'd be replacements.  Those who gets only one would clearly be at a disadvantage.  It is hard to understand why the IOC decided to allow such slipperiness in the first place - it seems totally against the original Olympics spirit.  I don't think the Greek annals recorded or glorified the use of performance enhancements.   Sports is supposed to be human powered.  I can understand shaving the body to reduce drag.  But using technology where such technology is not EQUALLY AVAILABLE to all participants is plainly wrong.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-8-21 09:27:43 |Display all floors
In my eyes the real super athletes are those who perform sports that are dangerous or need ultra high skills. Gymnasts and Triathlon athletes come into mind first.

[ Last edited by satsu_jin at 2008-8-21 10:38 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 09:33:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chinadaily at 2008-8-21 09:06
Michael Phelps won 8 golds, while Usain Bolt won the golds and broke the world records in the 100m and 200m, testing human limit. Who is greater?

I think Bolt is greater, he creates new olympic & world record, testing human's limits. And he breaks the Amenrican's dream sports of  sprint~~~~
No pains, No gains!~~~~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 09:46:02 |Display all floors
Ah, so I see. Bolt is greater because he beats Americans. Never mind which is the greater athletic performance. Phelps has many more gold medals and world records than Bolt. He had to race 17 times to get his medals!! What Phelps did is amazing. Many people have won the 100 and 200 like Bolt did.

And Tongluren, your stupid rants on the swimsuits are ridiculous. EVERYBODY in swimming wears them. Phelps won before the suits and after the suits. Besides, the swimsuits aren't that special. It is still a matter of a person swimming faster than another person.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 09:47:49 |Display all floors
Both are great athletes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-21 10:40:16 |Display all floors

WHY is it Ridiculous?

It is admitted that the swimmers swim faster in those suits, which both are slippery, and also when fitted correctly, provides boyancy AND keeps the body straighter so that more power could be asserted.

The Amiercans would have swan SLOWER without the suits.  They get to train with the augmentation all year round.  "Everybody wears them" is neither factually accurate, nor a valid excuse.  I do not recall Mark Spitz wearing them.

Why is that not cheating?  Someone as  a joke put a propeller on Phelps' behind with a PS.  Wearing these slippery suits is not far off.

[ Last edited by tongluren at 2008-8-21 10:42 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.