Views: 3284|Replies: 8

Private Conversation Between Obama and Cameron Overheard [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-27 03:13:38 |Display all floors
via ABC News
July 26, 2008 8:40 AM

At British Parliament today, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, met with Tory Leader David Cameron.

Seemingly unaware of an enormous fuzzy boom mike held by ABC News' Eric Kerchner, the two chatted casually -- and privately.

"You should be on the beach," Cameron told Obama. "You need a break. Well, you need to be able to keep your head together."

"You've got to refresh yourself," agreed Obama.

"Do you have a break at all?" asked Cameron.

"I have not," said Obama. "I am going to take a week in August. But I agree with you that somebody, somebody who had worked in the White House who -- not Clinton himself, but somebody who had been close to the process --  said that, should we be successful, that actually the most important thing you need to do is to have big chunks of time during the day when all you're doing is thinking. And the biggest mistake that a lot of these folks make is just feeling as if you have to be -- "

"These guys just chalk your diary up," said Cameron, referring to a packed schedule.

"Right," Obama said. "In 15 minute increments …"

"We call it the dentist's waiting room," Cameron said. "You have to scrap that because you've got to have time."

"And, well, and you start making mistakes," Obama said, "or you lose the big picture. Or you lose a sense of, I think you lose a feel-- "

"Your feeling," interrupted Cameron. "And that is exactly what politics is all about. The judgment you bring to make decisions."

"That's exactly right," Obama said. "And the truth is that we've got a bunch of smart people, I think, who know ten times more than we do about the specifics of the topics. And so if what you're trying to do is micromanage and solve everything then you end up being a dilettante but you have to have enough knowledge to make good judgments about the choices that are presented to you."
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-27 18:53:40 |Display all floors
All that sounds reasonable and in practice, I absolutely agree. I have a 'thinking chair' in the reading room at the other side of the office building --  when the door is closed it means I am not to be bothered!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-28 15:06:56 |Display all floors
Ultimately this is why I'm not too terribly considered when the Presidential candidate doesn't have a whole lot of specific knowledge on a subject as their appointees are the ones who have more experience and there the question is whether they'll pick competent, knowledgeable people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-28 16:20:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by blueskies88 at 2008-7-27 18:53
I have a 'thinking chair' in the reading room at the other side of the office building --  when the door is closed it means I am not to be bothered!  

Unfortunately, in your case you need brains as well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-28 16:32:00 |Display all floors

It is the System

Granted many of the pols are actually smart people, with their Harvard education and all, but it is the system that fails them (or is it them that fails the system?).  The average American "leader" spends 3/4 of his or her time living and dreaming of taking bribes - ehr, I mean campaign contributions.  

And you don't have to look far to see things getting really messed up royally fast.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-28 21:24:44 |Display all floors

Reply #4 buddy35's post

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-29 05:32:34 |Display all floors
Kodama,

I absolutely agree. The President doesn't need to be a savant, he needs to be someone who can prioritize various objectives, effectively delegate and (gasp) listen to the people around him. Bush's biggest problem is that he can't do any of these, least of all the last.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.