Views: 5418|Replies: 15

Foreign acts banned after Bjork debacle [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-18 01:57:54 |Display all floors
Foreign acts banned after Bjork debacle

From correspondents in Beijing

July 18, 2008 12:02am

CHINA has announced a ban all entertainers from overseas, Hong Kong and T iw n who have ever attended activities that threaten national sovereignty after an outburst by Icelandic singer Bjork.

Earlier this year, Bjork shouted T b T! T b T! at a Shanghai concert having performed her song Declare Independence, which she has used in the past to promote independence movements in other places such as Kosovo.

China has ruled T b T with an iron hand since its troops marched into the Himalayan region in 1950, and swiftly condemns any challenge to its authority there.

Any artistic group or individual who have ever engaged in activities which threaten our national sovereignty will not be allowed in, the Ministry of Culture said in a statement on its website.

During performances, entertainers who threaten national unity, whip up ethnic hatred, violate religious policy or cultural norms or advocate obscenity or feudalism and superstition, will also be banned, the rules state.

The new rules come on top of Beijing banning pop festivals and tightening approvals for outdoor events in the months leading up to the Olympics, where it fears security threats from unruly crowds and potential protesters.

Even encores need to be approved in advance.

Nothing that has not been approved will be allowed to be performed, it said.

Though the issue burst into the international spotlight after the Bjork case, which prompted an angry rebuke from China, singers from the much freer and more open ethnically Chinese societies of Hong Kong and T iw n are more normal targets of ire.

China banned the hugely popular T iw n pop star Chang Hui-mei for a year after she sang the self-ruled islands anthem at T iw n President Chen Shui-bians inauguration in 2000. China considers T iw n its sovereign territory.

She was later forgiven, though, and allowed back into China.

news.c
om.a
u/story/0,23599,24038321-23109,00.h
tml
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-18 02:00:53 |Display all floors

So... while Rage Against the Machine was able...

... rock out Cuba - the chances of them belting out "Renegades of Funk" in Beijing, Shanghai, or Guangzhou is pretty low?

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-18 02:02:29 |Display all floors

So...

... who else would be on this list?

The voice crew from Kung Fu Panda?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-18 07:02:16 |Display all floors

You Play in My House, You Abide By My Rules

There's nothing wrong with that.  Westerners are simply rude jerks to presume that they can do whatever the heck they want in China.

It should actually be written into contracts before they be allowed to enter and perform, making it a criminal offense to pay a foreign performer if said performer broke Chinese law during the performance.  There is no reason for the gweilo or gweipo to make money from the Chinese public if they do not even intend to abide by Chinese laws.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-18 08:45:14 |Display all floors

Palestine

Are there any Western performers who have spoken up for Palestinian human rights during or after
performances in Israel ? And if so what was the result ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-18 09:11:47 |Display all floors

Simple as that

Originally posted by tongluren at 2008-7-18 07:02
You Play in My House, You Abide By My Rules...

Tongluren is right.

What do you think if Osama shout "free Iraq" NYC?

The reaction will be the same.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-18 12:03:59 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.