Author: thepeop

One China, indivisible [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-17 14:33:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2008-7-17 14:22
Correction, I don't get your point about relevance.  Mongolia struck me as interesting because it was the biggest part that was lost from the old Qing empire.  And indeed, it seems like most Chines ...

No, not really unconcerned, in fact still very angry about what happened back then when China was weak. But as Meng has already explained it's all history, nothing can be done about it now!
But if you're out here just to taunt us Chinese for being weak or slyly trying to seek for reasons and opportunities to stir up separatist activities, then I can assure you that you'll meet with very angry responses!!
But why would want to taunt us and hurt our feelings?

[ Last edited by correction at 2008-7-17 02:36 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-17 14:47:22 |Display all floors
Interesting- I'd agree that the lack of strong feeling can largely be explained by the messages sent out in the media, by the education system, etc (or rather the lack of such messages).  But I also think that Chinese patriotism is a genuine popular feeling, which is why I'm interested in looking at how this issue is interpreted.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-17 14:59:53 |Display all floors
Correction, I think that's a good answer- by which I mean that your attitude to Mongolia is consistent with other historical issues.  What seemed inconsistent was Mengzhi's suggestion that he didn't care- although other posts suggested he did.  I also find the pragmatic approach to be a positive one- it's comforting that no-one here is calling for military action or anything crazy like that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-17 15:21:18 |Display all floors
TP,

Yeah, it's funny how people harp on the 19th century and absolutely ignore the tragedy which was China from 1949 to 1979.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-17 15:35:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2008-7-17 14:59
Correction, I think that's a good answer- by which I mean that your attitude to Mongolia is consistent with other historical issues.  What seemed inconsistent was Mengzhi's suggestion that he didn' ...

Again I would like to know what are your reasons and motive for asking such a question? I mean if you want to have a meaningful discussion on this topic surely you need to tell us WHY?
Furthermore, I don't see anyone calling for military actions to recover lands that are lost before 1949, so why are you so concerned?
But I tell you this, it still hurts if you ask any Chinese about how he feels towards all those humiliations and loss of lives and territories when China was weak.
It's just like a rape victim, if you keep asking the victim how she feels about it eventhough it might have happened long time, it still hurts her feelings!
So it's best not to ask if you don't have a good motive for doing  it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-17 18:29:33 |Display all floors

we are prepared .

This continued denial of ill will and taunts is the make up of cowards . There are history and history . Mongolia is not that part of China's history which we care to remember or try to change . You will be wetting yourself if China goes to war on account of your suggestion huh ?

We will never forget the humiliation at the hands of the brutal tribes from Europe . We will be eternally alert and aware that we have to do what we have to do to defend ourselves . Your warped mentality is the stuff of future adventurism by some impulsive descendants of the colonialists . NEVER is the  motto , NEVER AGAIN .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-17 23:37:31 |Display all floors
Mengzhi, you 'will never forget the humiliation at the hands of the brutal tribes from Europe', but for some reason you 'don't care to remember' the one time a large chunk of Chinese territory was permanently removed.  I'm interested in WHY this is so.  You don't want to answer that, fine , but please stop saying the same thing over and over.

Correction- indeed not- the military thing was just something I noticed in very small amounts on Chinese language discussions on Mongolia (try searching on baidu).  Your rape analogy is worth thinking about- the reason I am interested, and felt I could bring the subject up, is that other 'humiliations' are so frequently mentioned by Chinese posters here and in China in general- so I thought people would have no problem discussing the past.  Let's face it, if I started a post on the opium wars no Chinese poster would answer 'I don't want to talk about it, it's too painful'.

(Edit) Actually, sorry, some might well not want to talk about it.  But given that Mengzhi has voluntarily mentioned it and other events several times over the past few pages, clearly not EVERY poster would avoid it.

[ Last edited by thepeop at 2008-7-17 11:40 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.