Author: thepeop

One China, indivisible [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-16 14:21:07 |Display all floors
Still here?  Oh well.  At least this time I can work out what your answer to my question would be- from your sensitivity on the issue, I guess you do think that Mongolia should be part of China.  Thanks for contributing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-16 14:24:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2008-7-16 13:42
Thanks for the reply, Caringhk.  Am I right in interpreting that as meaning that you think (outer) Mongolia should be part of China?

are you the Pope representing China??/
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-16 14:47:16 |Display all floors
Didn't notice that my name could be read like that... I guess you're a person of special talents.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-16 17:06:24 |Display all floors

Man or Mouse ?

Originally posted by thepeop at 2008-7-13 23:11

One China, indivisible

China, its borders defined by its size at the end of the Qing dynasty, is a unified nation whose parts are, were and always will be part of China.  No breaking away can be tolerated, because its land is sacred.

Now, for those who agree with the above proposition... what's your opinion on the status of the country to the north of China called Mongolia?

I have not had to do this child minding exercise before but I have quoted your initial topic here in toto for the benefit of all interested parties .

" China , its borders defined by its size at the end of the Qing dynasty ...... " is a curious premise with no foundation.  Who determined it and when ?  China was at her weakest at that time , the whole of Europe , plus Russia and Japan were circling vultures impatient to feed on the carcass of a proud civilization . The " Expeditionary Forces "  ( read carnivores ) were there to feast upon China .Everyman and his dog wanted to , and did , carve out their favorite niche and at the point of a gun , demanded " concessions " and immunity from the laws of the land .  I hope you are following this glory page of your forebears' history .

Now you are taunting us that we did not do the right thing in maintaining that " boundary " . That is the theme of your " discussion " right ?  I have said this before and I will say it again . If you want to be a bully , be a man ( and not a mouse ) and stand up to own it  , instead of being a coward and hide behind personally abusive terms .

China is happy with her territories . You just leave your sticky fingers off them . Buzz .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-16 19:18:57 |Display all floors
Mengzhi, for 'personal insults' look at your own posts- comparisons of IQ and shoe sizes spring to mind.  Now, as for the size of China- this issue is debatable which is why I added 'for those who agree with the above proposition'.  I mainly picked the end of the Qing because at that time China, for all its 'weakness', was absolutely enormous, larger than it had been before or since.  

You have pointed out that you feel that China's borders should be defined as of 1949, which is valid but evidently not all Chinese people agree with you- hence their interest in Mongolia's 'return'.  You have still refused to answer the original question, which leaves your responses fairly contradictory.  All this talk about 1949 as the key date makes it look like you disagree with Mongolia being a rightful part of China.  

No, I'm not taunting 'you'.  That is not the theme of my 'discussion'.  I want to find out how you feel about Mongolia.  You can be a man and answer that issue, or keep on being a child, insulting me and making insinuations about my motivations.

Correction- no relevance, because I'm not discussing China's current territories.  I'm interested in how people feel about a historical issue that almost never comes up.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-16 19:56:17 |Display all floors

Not taunting ?

We Chinese are practical and pragmatic if nothing else . Most of us alive now cannot remember Mongolia being part of China . Even if some do , it pales into comparison when stacked against the security , the self confidence and the good standard of living at present . Why would we care about things we cannot even remember ?

Your motives are suspect ,and I for one  do not buy this " discussion " excuse . It is the tired taunting that the ex-colonialists love to do , in place of invasion .

I have had my say now . We will meet up elsewhere and I am sure I can educate you again . Till then adios .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-16 23:38:35 |Display all floors
Thanks for finally saying what you think on the issue- so you (personally) don't care about it.  I'm glad we got there.  And I think you're broadly right about the pragmatism, which I find comforting- unrealistic ideals are dangerous things.

Now, you are free to hold onto your suspicions and prejudices- I'd only recommend that you don't let them extend too far from the internet into real life.  Sometimes a spade is just a spade, sometimes a discussion is just a discussion.

Now I think of it, one point which argues against your view of my motives.  If I am an evil 'ex-colonialist', I assume you mean I want to break China up by appealing to ideals like ethnic self-determination.  But if that's true, what could I possibly gain from 'taunting' China for having lost territory?  Surely the effect of that 'taunting', if successful, would be the opposite- increasing Chinese resolve to hold on to what they have?

Anyway, see you around.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.