Views: 17552|Replies: 55

Why are People Behaving Like This in the West? [Copy link] 中文

Rank: 4

Post time 2008-6-28 03:31:02 |Display all floors
We have cases of child abuse and neglect on levels that are incredible in history!

Why are people in the west behaving so wicked?

Does anyone know?
You will reap what you sow!

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 4

Post time 2008-6-28 03:34:10 |Display all floors
Mother jailed over girl's death

Press Assoc. - Friday, June 27

A mother who left her three-year-old daughter to die from malnutrition in her bedroom and did not find her body until two days after her death has been jailed for 12 years.

Tiffany Wright died in "squalor, filth and degradation" when she was "entirely neglected" by her parents at the pub they ran in Sheffield last year.

At Sheffield Crown Court, Sabrina Hirst, 22, was jailed for 12 years after previously admitting manslaughter. Her husband, Robert Hirst, 44, was jailed for five years after admitting child cruelty.

The Recorder of Sheffield, Judge Alan Goldsack QC, described the case as "about as bad a case of child manslaughter as there can be". The judge heard the circumstances of Tiffany's death were "truly appalling".

He was told how the little girl's body was found decomposing by police in a beetle-infested room at the Scarbrough Arms, in Upperthorpe, Sheffield in September last year.

A pathologist said she had been dead for between two and three days and tests showed she had not eaten or drunk anything for at least 20 hours, probably more. The court heard Tiffany died from bronchial pneumonia which was a direct result of malnutrition.

Opening the case, Jeremy Richardson QC told the judge Tiffany died because she "simply had not been fed or given fluids".

Mr Richardson explained how the family lived above the pub where Tiffany was brought up in "circumstances of abject squalor and degradation". He said the couple would regularly go out leaving the little girl with no supervision in a flat which was covered in dog faeces and had bare electrical cables exposed from wall sockets. He said the couple "entirely neglected" their daughter.

The prosecutor added that the squalor "almost defies description for any human being to live in" and that: "In the last week of her life she was never nourished or cared for at all."

The court heard how Tiffany was about one and half stone (9kg) at the time of her death and was 3ft 4ins tall. She had put on less than a kilo in weight in the last two years of her life.
You will reap what you sow!

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 4

Post time 2008-6-28 03:41:19 |Display all floors
Mum Left Toddler At Home To Go Partying

By Sky News SkyNews - Friday, June 27 12:03 pmA mother who left her two-year-old son home alone so she could spend a weekend partying has been jailed for at least nine months.

Kelly Tollerton's son was caged in the kitchen by a baby gate and had to rummage in rubbish bags for food "like a dog".

He was discovered three days later when water from an overflowing sink filled with pots poured into a neighbour's flat below.

Police broke in and found the boy sobbing and standing in several inches of water wearing a filthy Babygro surrounded by dirty nappies and broken crockery. He was shivering with cold and had been using a pile of dirty washing as a bed.

Sentencing her at Lincoln Crown Court, Recorder William Harbage QC said: "It defies belief that any mother can treat her child in that way. In my opinion, you are not a fit mother."

She was sentenced to 18 months in prison but told she should expect to serve at least nine months.

The court had heard that Tollerton's actions were a "deliberate act of abandonment so that she could go out and party".

Tollerton, 22, said she and her 40-year-old boyfriend partied all weekend but their babysitter had let them down.

There was also criticism of the social services and health visitors and an investigation launched after it emerged the boy was placed on an at-risk register at the age of two months because he was seriously underweight.

But social services ended contact with him when he started to attend nursery.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was put up for adoption and now, aged four, has started school.
You will reap what you sow!

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2008-6-28 04:18:12 |Display all floors

masters and servants...

Millionaire Gets Prison in 'Modern-Day Slavery' Case
Thursday , June 26, 2008


A millionaire who inflicted years of abuse on two Indonesian housekeepers held as virtual slaves in her Long Island mansion received an 11-year prison sentence on Thursday.

Varsha Sabhnani, 46, was convicted with her husband in December on a 12-count federal indictment that included forced labor, conspiracy, involuntary servitude and harboring aliens.

The trial provided a glimpse into a growing U.S. problem of domestic workers exploited in slave-like conditions.

The victims testified that they were beaten with brooms and umbrellas, slashed with knives, and forced to climb stairs and take freezing showers as punishment.

U.S. District Court Judge Arthur Spatt called the testimony "eye-opening, to say the least — that things like that go on in our country."

"In her arrogance, she treated Samirah and Enung as less than people," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Demetri Jones. "Justice for the victims: That's what the government is asking for."

Federal sentencing guidelines had recommended a range of 12 to 15 years in prison for Sabhnani, who was identified as the one who inflicted the abuse. In addition to prison, she will serve three years probation and pay a $25,000 fine.

"I just want to say that I love my children very much," the defendant told the court as two of her grown children looked on. "I was brought to this earth to help people who are in need."

Mahender Sabhnani, 51, who is free on bail while awaiting his own Friday sentencing, wept as he watched his wife's punishment pronounced.

He was charged with the same crimes because he allowed the conduct to take place and benefited from the work the women performed in his home, prosecutors said. He is expected to receive a much shorter prison term.

Prosecutors contended the accusations amounted to a "modern-day slavery" case. They said the maids were subjected to "punishment that escalated into a cruel form of torture," which ended in May 2007, when one of the women fled in the early morning hours of Mother's Day. She wandered into a Dunkin' Donuts wearing nothing but rags and employees called police.

"This did not happen in the 1800s," Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Lesko said during the trial. "This happened in the 21st century. This happened in Muttontown, New York."

The women, whose relatives in Indonesia were paid about $100 a month — they received no cash— said they were tortured and beaten for misdeeds that included sleeping late or stealing food from trash bins because they were poorly fed. Both women also said they were forced to sleep on mats in the kitchen.

Spatt postponed a decision on the amount of back wages owed to the women. Prosecutors suggested the women were due more than $1.1 million, while defense attorneys said the figure should be much lower. The couple also face fines and could be forced to forfeit their home, which is valued at almost $2 million. Mahender Sabhnani ran a lucrative international perfume business out of a home office there.

The victims said they were beaten with brooms and umbrellas, slashed with knives, forced to climb stairs and take freezing cold showers as punishment for various misdeeds. One victim was forced to eat dozens of chili peppers against her will, and then was forced to eat her own vomit when she couldn't keep the peppers down, prosecutors said.

One of the women arrived in the Sabhnanis' Muttontown home in 2002; the second came in 2005. Their passports and other travel documents were immediately confiscated by the Sabhnanis, the women testified.

The defense, which intends to appeal, contended the two women concocted the story as a way of escaping the house for more lucrative opportunities. They also argued the housekeepers practiced witchcraft and may have abused themselves as part of a self-mutilation ritual.

Defense attorney Jeffrey Hoffman said 175 letters were submitted to the court detailing Sabhnani's charitable acts around the world. He called her "a woman who spent a lifetime doing good deeds."

Hoffman said that around 2004 or 2005, Sabhnani's weight plummeted from 325 pounds to 135. "She did it by starving herself," and that resulted in a chemical imbalance and significant malnourishment. "She had become a very different person."

"I think it's very harsh," Hoffman said after the sentencing. "She has suffered dramatically."

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2008-6-28 04:21:26 |Display all floors

what's wrong 4 stayin outdoor...

Mom Killed in Front of Daughter at YMCA, Police Hunt Gunman
Friday , June 27, 2008

MONTCLAIR, New Jersey —

A man shot and killed a woman in front of their 11-year-old daughter inside a YMCA recreation center while a swimming class for preschoolers was going on nearby, officials said.

Authorities said Monica Paul, 31, argued with the suspect, Kenneth A. Duckett, 37, before he allegedly opened fire about 6:30 p.m.

Duckett, the father of her two children, then ran from the building and drove off in a white Jeep with another man, who has not been identified, authorities said. The vehicle was later found; both men remained at large late Thursday.

Witnesses said YMCA staffers and parents helped get the children out of the building. None of the children was hurt, authorities said.

Essex County Prosecutor Paula T. Dow said Paul was shot multiple times at close range as she sat with her daughter in a waiting area outside the pool where her 4-year-old son was swimming. Witnesses told investigators they heard at least three or four shots.

Authorities said the slain woman was granted a restraining order against Duckett late last year.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2008-6-28 04:26:18 |Display all floors

obituary OR arbituary...

Report: Pregnant Soldier Found Dead Had Fiance at Fort Bragg
Friday , June 27, 2008

The fiance of a pregnant soldier found dead in a hotel bathtub in North Carolina is stationed at Fort Bragg, according to The Fayetteville Observer.

Police still don't know how Army Spc. Megan Lynn Touma died, though they have called her death suspicious. The state medical examiner in Chapel Hill received Touma's body this week and an investigation is ongoing. An autopsy report will not be released Friday and may take up to 60 days, has learned.

Spc. Breana Cooper, who serves as a dental specialist with the Army, met Touma, 23, when they both were assigned to U.S. Army Dental Activity in Germany. Touma's fiance had come up in conversation, the Fayetteville Observer reported.

"She mentioned him. That he was from Fort Bragg and that's where she was going," Cooper told the Fayetteville Observer. "She was excited and everything."

Cooper, who told the paper she had known Touma for nearly two years, said she did not know the fiance's name or rank. She was also unsure how long they had been dating or if he had been stationed in Germany during Touma's assignment there.

Click here to read Jonathan Serrie's On The Scene blog.

Touma, who was seven months pregnant when she was found decomposing in a bathtub on Saturday at the Fairfield Inn in Fayetteville, N.C., had discussed marriage, according to Cooper. Her fiance had already given her a ring, she said.

"It was a very nice diamond set," Cooper told the Fayetteville Observer.

According to Cooper, Touma had selected "Tristan," or possibly "Tristen," as the unborn child's name. Cooper said she assumed that the unidentified man was the father of Touma's child.

"I don't remember exactly if that's what she said," Cooper told the Fayetteville Observer.

No information was available on a possible boyfriend being stationed at Fort Bragg, a spokeswoman for the 18th Airborne Corps told the paper. Soldiers are required only to disclose a change in marital status, the spokeswoman said.

Cooper, 21, had her first child, Gavin, five months ago and shared the experience with Touma, the paper reported.

"She asked about the delivery. Just being a mom," Cooper told the Fayetteville Observer. "I kept telling her how awesome being a mom was."

On Wednesday, Touma's ex-husband El Sayed Touma — who wasn't the father of the unborn baby — blasted the Army for failing to check on her before considering her AWOL, or absent without leave.

"She was left in the room for two days, and the Army said she was AWOL," El Sayed Touma told FOX affiliate WRAL TV. "They didn't even bother to go check on her in the motel where she stayed. I mean, the Army knows that she stayed in that hotel."

The Toumas met at Fort Drum, N.Y., when both were stationed there. They were married for three years but divorced when the stress of living in separate countries became too much for them, WRAL reported.

Meanwhile, Fort Bragg officials said Wednesday they were investigating why Touma wasn't reported missing sooner.

"We're shocked, first and foremost. It's always sad when you lose a soldier. And on top of that, here's a beautiful young woman who is seven months pregnant. It's sad and deeply troubling," said Maj. Angela Funaro, a Fort Bragg spokeswoman.

Touma missed an Army exercise June 16, but wasn't reported absent without leave after 24 hours, in accordance with Army regulations. Funaro said the Army was investigating why the procedures weren't followed.

Touma's relatives have declined comment from their home in Kansas, said family spokeswoman Deb Skidmore.

"They ask that everyone leave them alone and let them grieve," Skidmore said.

The Fayetteville Police Department is investigating the death because Touma's body was found off-post, and the military is cooperating, Funaro said.

The Army Criminal Investigation Command is also looking into the case, Funaro said.

Col. John W. Etzenbach, her former commander in Germany, said he will remember Touma as selfless, outgoing and loyal. She was "lighthearted" and was "ecstatic" about becoming a mom, he said.

Touma is the second pregnant service member to die under suspicious circumstances in North Carolina in recent months. Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach was reported missing and later found dead near Camp Lejeune in January. A fellow Marine, Cpl. Cesar Laurean, has been charged in her death and is awaiting extradition from Mexico.

Click here for the

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2008-6-28 07:41:00 |Display all floors
Sent home in shame, the British commandos who stripped naked for crass stunt in a foreign bar
Last updated at 01:06 04 March 2008

Eight British Commandos have been flown home in disgrace for stripping naked and engaging in appalling behaviour in a Norwegian bar during an Arctic training exercise.

The men disgusted onlookers in the town of Harstad with a drunken game of "naked bar".

After whipping off their clothes, they urinated on each other - splashing other customers and furniture - before slurring insults and abuse.

Furious senior officers ordered the soldiers, from the Army's 59 Independent Commando Squadron Royal Engineers, back home to face disciplinary action.

Naked ambition: The soldiers stripped off in a Norwegian bar and reportedly urinated on locals, each other and all over the furniture

"This is taken extremely seriously," a Ministry of Defence official said.

The shameful case has been widely covered by the Norwegian media.

They highlighted local people complaining that they were fed up with yobbish behaviour by British troops, whom they accused of displaying a "nasty edge" compared with soldiers from other countries.

The incident happened on Wednesday night, after the eight soldiers had been honing their Arctic warfare skills alongside Royal Marines.

They were part of Exercise Octans, an annual exercise involving thousands of personnel from more than a dozen Nato countries.

'British participation':The soldiers are among an international brigade in northern Norway training for another expected tour of duty in Afghanistan

The engineers, based at Barnstaple, north Devon, have passed the gruelling all-arms commando course, enabling them to wear the commando green beret and serve with the Marines on operations.

Local media reports said the men had been drinking before they arrived at the Sfinx Bar in Harstad, the nearest town to the exercise area.

They began "bothering" female customers, before shouting "naked bar!" and stripping off.

"Naked Bar" is a popular drinking game in many units across the British armed forces.

The rules are simple - participants immediately remove all clothing - and the game is usually tolerated among high-spirited troops when it is played well away from the public gaze.

In this case, however, the soldiers began urinating on one of their party who had slumped drunkenly to the floor, splashing urine over the bar's furniture and other customers.

Local police were called, and handed spot fines of £500 to each of the men before handing them over to the Royal Military Police.

Harstad police spokesman Gair Pedersen said: "They were drunk and there was a problem in the bar but we are quite used to dealing with British soldiers like this."

Norway's biggest newspaper, Aftenposten, quoted locals as saying the soldiers had been "bothering" female customers.

Naked soldiers

'Bad behaviour': An unidentified British soldier outside the bar in Harstad

One, Cecilie Kleppe, 29, said: "Some of them even started waving their private parts at the other guests. Two of the Englishmen urinated on a fellow soldier who was lying on the floor. It was disgusting."

Bar manager Petter Holmbakken said he had never seen anything like it.

He added: "I can understand that the women were offended. It's no fun to be plagued by lots of nasty comments.

"To be perfectly honest, I and a lot of other Harstad residents are fed up with the Englishmen."

Lars Torsten, another resident, said: "The Dutch like a drink and get a bit boisterous but they do not have that nasty edge that so many of the British troops display - once they have got some schnapps inside them."

Ms Kleppe took the photographs and gave them to Aftenposten which commented: "The British participation won't be quickly forgotten.

"Even though the presence of so many soldiers provides a boost to the local economy, it also has its disadvantages.

"Some residents say the rowdiness that can accompany the soldiers makes them feel insecure."

But a spokesman for the town council said: "We would not like to see all British troops banned from here because of the actions of a few."

The Ministry of Defence said all UK personnel taking part in Exercise Octans had now been banned from going to Harstad.

A spokesman said the eight men were all privates or junior non-commissioned officers.

They will face disciplinary action from their commanding officer but insiders say they are likely to escape with a hefty fine as there was no dishonesty or violence involved.

One source said: "It's the sort of thing you might get away with at a particularly lively party on base. But if you do it in public and end up splashed all over the Norwegian papers, then God help you."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email:
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.