Post time 2008-6-27 22:44:33 |Display all floors

I have been in Pakistan for 4 years ...

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-6-27 22:56:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 441424 at 2008-6-27 23:44

Without generalizing I have a few less favorable memories:

My wife and I are both a bit shy and on parties we use to stick together. The first thing we have learned in Pakistan is that if yo ...

Pakistan is a conservative Muslim society. Of course males and females will be separated at parties. Women are considerd second class citizens. You can still feel lucky. In countries West of Pakistan women are either invisible or are made invisible and would never attend any party. Just imagine a woman at a party in Saudia. She wouldn't survive it.

How Did your wife feel over there? Many restrictions or was free walking/shopping etc possible?

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-6-27 22:58:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 441424 at 2008-6-27 23:44

Without generalizing I have a few less favorable memories:

My wife and I are both a bit shy and on parties we use to stick together. The first thing we have learned in Pakistan is that if yo ...

Pakistan is a c onservative Muslim society. Of course males and females will be se p  ar at ed at parties. Women are considerd second class citizens. You can still feel lucky. In countries West of Pakistan women are either invisible or are made invisible and would never attend any party. Just imagine a woman at a party in Saudia. She wouldn't survive it.

How Did you wife feel over there? Many re str icti ons or was free walking/shopping etc possible?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-28 07:18:16 |Display all floors

Reply #32 mengzhi's post

Yeah, ok. You can justify it but as soon as we mention the past a loud cry goes up and says..."why are you bringing the past into this?"
I acknowledged that some people have been given knighthoods without deserving them but it seems like you are trashing the whole venerable honours institution and that just ain't cricket ole pal........if it's nothing to do with you, either by citizenship or locality, stay the flock out of it!
chk, NZ wasn't a penal colony as Australia was and once again, we have you, allowed to use the past against us, but when we do so against you (or your opinions rather than you as a person, we're subjected to ridicule and name calling). I remember last year, in a thread, you attacked me for mentioning the past and said despicable things to me..........but when we mention Chinas past, like the C.R etc, we're told it's none of our business, it's in the past so why bring it up now. Looks like y'all don't like it when my size 10 boot is about to kick your a$$ with your own words.
saj2go, good to see you back. hope all's well.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-6-28 12:38:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-6-28 10:07

Methinks this was yet another sterling example of CD fascist opinionetness that calls for a "Sincere" apology from the makers of this publication... to ALL WESTERNERS.

Methinks this was yet another sterling example of CD fascist opinionetness

If this is fascism for you then you can call yourself very lucky that you'd never to experience the real taste.

[ Last edited by satsu_jin at 2008-6-28 01:43 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-6-28 12:43:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by saj2go at 2008-6-27 22:25

Sorry, I will prefer to write it here. So other intelligent forum members could also help us to find out the truth. I hope you will not mind it.

If you and others look at the following l ...

Saj-sahib,

I quote over here from Wikipedia and this quote reflects very much the Hindu approach on converts:

A few sects of Hinduism promote the possibility of "becoming a Hindu" (or a Brahmin), but their stance does not meet with wide acceptance in Indian society.

As in Islam there are also sects in Hinduism but afaik their view does not reflect the mainstream.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-28 12:59:40 |Display all floors

No scatter gun tactics .

Kiwi,

We are speaking at cross purposes here . I have never said that the past is irrelevant or out of bounds in discussion . I firmly believe that if we don't learn from the past then we are doomed to repeat them . It is the context that I am sensitive to . Some of the China bash and bait brigade immediately grab the old hoary chestnut of  " but China did worse " without even addressing the issue at hand . That is what I object to . I call it the auction debate : where one side just wants to up the ante with counter claims without paying any attention to the topic .

As to CR .The sum knowledge of most bashers are confined to " 65 million dead and Mao did it " . Such sloganeering and Hollywood . My standing invitation remains . If anyone wants to discuss this topic with me , list the  points you know and with some evidence and we can talk . I'd love to take on all comers here . Cheers .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.