Views: 47997|Replies: 501

Western provocation toward Islamic world [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-25 22:54:33 |Display all floors
Queen confers knighthood on Salman Rushdie

LONDON - Queen Elizabeth II conferred a knighthood on "The Satanic Verses" author Salman Rushdie on Wednesday, a year after the announcement of the knighthood provoked protests from the Muslim world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Some Muslims accused Rushdie him of blasphemy in the book and Iranian leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini pronounced a death sentence on him in 1989.

"I really have no regrets about any of my work," Rushdie told reporters after being asked about "The Satanic Verses."

"This is, as I say, an honor not for any specific book but for a very long career in writing and I'm happy to see that recognized," he said.

Rushdie, 61, published his first novel, "Grimus," in 1975.

Success came with his next book, "Midnight's Children," which won the prestigious Booker Prize in 1981.

Rushdie was forced to accept round-the-clock protection after "The Satanic Verses," was published in 1988. The Iranian government withdrew the death sentence in 1998 and Rushdie has gradually returned to public life.

"It's been a long time — my first novel was published 33 years ago but I think the thing you hope to do as a writer is leave behind a shelf of interesting books and it's great just to have that work recognized," Rushdie told reporters.

He added: "At this stage ,you know, it's certainly not a day to talk about controversy, it's a day for myself and my family to celebrate this."
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-26 11:52:07 |Display all floors

Desperate to stir up trouble....

is our little intellectually challenged Northwest.

The western world has been subject to the most ridiculous amount of scorn, slander and criticism, far more so than Isl-am has from Rushdie's boring book.
This anti-western hate has been spewed by fundamentalists from various religious and pol-itic-al "faiths".

Yet those same fundamentalists get quite upset at "The West" when one of their own expresses a slightly different viewpoint to the fundamentalists' literal "truth" and is saved from being burned at the stake by the intellectually liberal "West".

If you're really worried about offending Isl-am, Northwest, haul your skinny little arse over to one of your western provinces and just explain to them why they are better off being "Chinese".
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-26 12:02:51 |Display all floors
We've lived with moslems since 1300 years ago, starting when the Arab traders reached China.

Harmonious coexistence with this religion is absent in your society, 1slamophobia is a trend in your (grabbed) land now.

Again, you're so unrepentant to start more conflicts by invading Middle-east nation.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-26 12:03:37 |Display all floors
Do I struck some nerve here?

Yes, you pledged loyalty to the European queen.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-6-26 13:06:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 2008-6-26 13:02
We've lived with moslems since 1300 years ago, starting when the Arab traders reached China.

Harmonious coexistence with this religion is absent in your society, 1slamophobia is a trend in your  ...

NW,

Here I don't agree with you.

Since almost two decades radical muslims try to force their way of medieval life upon other cultures and people. In spite of many crimes committed in the name of Islam their leaders mostly kept/keep silent or try to excuse these criminal activities. These radicals cannot and do not want to understand that in other cultures it is quite common to criticize religion and religious leaders. This is not possible in Islam because politics and religion are interwoven thus creating a blurred view of day to day life. In Islam all non muslims are considerd infidels and a lower form of life that should be destroyed. In recent years radical Islam has spread like a wildfire and no place on earth can be considerd to be safe. Their aim is to create a theocracy from SE Europe and Africa to the Pacific Ocean (see Mindanao/Philippines) and they intend to eliminate everybody and everything that stands in their way. No country will be safe from them. If they'd get their way we could also see in China a strong and fundamentalist Islamic movement.

Coming back to Salman Rushdie. I've read the 'Satanic Verses' , a book that is nor really interesting but contains a few hidden remarks about Ayatollah Khomeini. This was enough for the Iranian theocracy to issue a fathwa (sp?) against him. Rushdie was advised by the then Indian government to leave the country because India was under immediate threat from Islamists because of Rushdie. He had no other choice but to immigrate to the UK because most other countries didn't want to give him refuge because they were scared of Islamic retaliation.

Sorry NW, but I do consider present day Islam to be one of the biggest threats of mankind and moreover a threat that we'll all have to face for many more decades to come.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-26 13:26:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 2008-6-26 12:03
Do I struck some nerve here?

Yes, you pledged loyalty to the European queen.

for ausies celebrate QUEEN's day
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-26 13:32:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by caringhk at 2008-6-26 15:26
for ausies celebrate QUEEN's day

Actually it's the Queen's Birthday holiday.

Oh, and Northwaste, you're just talking sh!t again.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.