Author: satsu_jin

A vanishing Europe and lifestyle [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-25 08:21:10 |Display all floors
Let's not dwell on details.

Several people already mentioned the question: what does "the European lifestyle" really mean?

If we want to see if it's vanishing, we should first understand what it is that is vanishing.

As mentioned before, the European lifestyle is not about race, skin colour etc.

Is it about being wealthy and enjoying luxury? I don't know. My parents didnt grow up with a lot of luxury, but still they are undeniably Europeans.

So it's something else. I think we should search the European lifestyle in ideas. Toleration and solidarity. What if someone behaves in a very strange way, would people laugh at him, take away his 'face' in public? Would people ban his behaviour? Or would they think: it's not my task to judge his behaviour, as long as people don't harm others they can live as they choose without feeling uncomfortable about it. That's toleration.

(I don't want to suggest that every European fully lives up to these ideas in practise, or that outside of Europe these ideas don't exist. But as a European I feel that toleration and solidarity are the things that bind me to my continent, that define our lifestyle)
:: I'm in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, in July 2008 ::

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-6-25 15:29:03 |Display all floors
cestmoi,

What does one say to that?

What can one say to that?

Bella Italia...

There is not much that can be added. It's not the first time that Berlusconi bribed people to commit perjury and I bet will not be the last time. He is by far the most corrupt politician in Western Europe. He can afford to do so because he controls more than 60% of all Italian media, has tons of money to spend and is always reelected when others fail to form a decent coalition government. This is Italy, BELLA ITALIA.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 17:37:41 |Display all floors

404-Page not found

Nope, them numbers don't work.

Originally posted by tradervic at 2008-6-25 10:14
T
H
E
A
U
S
T
R
A
L
I
A
N
N
E
W
S
C
O
M
A
U
/
S
T
O
R
Y
/
-
H
T
M
l ...
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 18:41:14 |Display all floors

Outsch ! it is so difficult fo keep my

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 18:44:03 |Display all floors

emag siht ekil I

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 19:00:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pariah at 2008-6-25 20:44
retlif eht kcirt ot.
:lol

sknilbew tsop tonnac llits ew tuB
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-25 19:11:52 |Display all floors

nasty Incestuous Aussie

An ex-wife of the South Australian man who had a baby with his daughter has rubbished claims the pair had almost no contact for 30 years.

Dorothy Deaves told ninemsn John and Jenny Deaves, who have now had two babies together, lived under the same roof when Jenny was a 15-year-old girl.

John and Jenny claimed in an interview broadcast on 60 Minutes that they began a sexual relationship after Jenny tracked down the father she had never known.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.