Views: 8827|Replies: 26

One country, two systems not suitable for Taiwan [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-17 02:11:57 |Display all floors
A Chinese economist whose contrarian views have previously caught the leadership's eye has suggested Beijing revise its "one country, two systems" formula for Taiwan and consider a federation or confederation.

The contentious idea for a rethink of China's policy towards self-ruled Taiwan, which Beijing claims as its own, is almost certain to trigger a heated debate in the Communist Party, the government and academia.

"It's one country, two governments," Lu De, the eldest son of the late reform-minded vice-premier Lu Dingyi, told Reuters in a rare interview.

"To resolve the cross-Strait problem, (we) must create new concepts and thinking or else it would give rise to contradictions and chaos in policy, thinking and action," said Lu, a board member of Beijing's semi-official China Council for Promoting Peaceful Reunification.

In a deviation from conventional thinking, Lu said the "one country, two systems" formula, under which Hong Kong and Macau reverted to Chinese rule in 1997 and 1999 respectively, was unfit for Taiwan.

He said Beijing and Taipei could instead eventually form a federation or confederation to reflect the political reality that China and Taiwan have different currencies, armies, fiscal systems and diplomatic allies.

Source: Reuters

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-17 09:49:45 |Display all floors
And, again, a noteworthy Chinese agrees with me where the forumites do not.

For all they know, I may actually be President Hu, so good am I at predicting what moves will be discussed.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-17 10:00:53 |Display all floors
As an 1ind3p3nd3nt country ...Tay-wan has one government already.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-17 10:50:18 |Display all floors

Two governments?   Nonsense!  Who governs who?   

What he wanted is two governments fighting each other everyday over many issues.  Each could intervene
the internal affairs of the other.  This will give Uncle Sam an opportunity to support one against the other.

In the end, China will be controlled and governed by Taiwan leaders.  That is what he has in mind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-17 23:05:57 |Display all floors
we have offered whatever we can and have ,it's really up to the island local leaders to choose between peace and war.
personally i prefer the latter
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-18 01:25:04 |Display all floors

<snort>

It will be up to the people of T a i w a n what they want.

At the moment - it is "status quo"

... and the slow waltz continues...
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-18 01:32:23 |Display all floors
people will not go to touchdown to a bottom line, i think, as time being, everything will be okay, we have wisdom to work out a perfect solution on this issue eventually.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.