Author: i2vision

Cities in China are more vibrant than the WEST [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-11 13:37:48 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 13:50:20 |Display all floors
I lived in London longer than you can imagine. London is a rocking city is also a fallacy. It aint rock and roll. You dont see much of the neon light  in London like in Hong Kong except the picadily square.  You dont see the kind of activities in and out of the streets.

The term here : Vibrancy means life or energy that injected in the streets that provide interactivity and connectivity.

Been to many inner cities in the USA and canada. well, Auckland, I have no comment.

If you have been to Toronto and Vancouver, Auckland is no comparison as well as London.  I guess the Canadian people are just better in city planning.  

London has night life, I agreed with you as well as Auckland. The night life is different that lacking in vibrancy. period.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 13:51:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by huang262 at 2008-6-11 13:37
You wanna see night life in Sydney? Head to Kingscross - the red light district.

Haha thank you

I

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 14:09:09 |Display all floors

Reply #31 i2vision's post

No, it's lacking in vibrancy as defined by you, not by me or some others here...period! About the neon lights, did it ever occur to you that they're a huge waste of energy and they cause light pollution? I can't speak for others in other countries, but I can say that in my country, we don't much care for it. Are neon lights a viable indicator of vibrancy? Aickland is no comparison? If you haven't been there, then this statement is a complete waste of time, so might be best not to make the comparison. If you do so on heresay, then more fool you! Yes, I've been to Toronto and Vancouver as well as Windsor, Ottawa, Saskatoon, Montreal and Edmonton  to name but a few more. Yes, those 2 cities you mentioned have their own vibrancy and it was nice to visit those places.
As for London, well, I guess what's one mans trash is another mans treasure. It's obvious that your ideas clash with mine, and others, so it's probably best to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

huang; most large cities, if not all, have their red-light districts. They were fun to visit when younger but now, nah, I'd rather go to Shamian in Guangzhou and sit by the river eating nice seafood and drinking a few coldies, or go to Huangshi Lu and have a few beers with some expat friends there, or head down to Shenzhen and see some frirends there, or go to HK and party up down there. I'm more into a sedate lifestyle these days....getting old!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 14:35:00 |Display all floors
So, which part of Toronto you find is fun and have vibrancy? See the Neon light? Tell  canadian it is waste of energy.  Tell it to those who like to be in times Square. Well, by Canadian Standard, London is definitely good for a visit. As to compare other aspect of city that it has to offer, London is far far away. In Toronto, a ticket allows you to travel to your destination with combination of transports.

this is connectivity.

Is this my definition?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 14:52:20 |Display all floors

Reply #34 i2vision's post

Not really a definition, more of a description. Ease of transport isn't an indicator of vibrancy but since you mention it, there are the same kind of tickets available in other cities too, like Auckland.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 14:59:40 |Display all floors
"     They were fun to visit when younger but now, nah, I'd rather go to Shamian in Guangzhou and sit by the river eating nice seafood and drinking a few coldies, or go to Huangshi Lu and have a few beers with some expat friends there, or head down to Shenzhen and see some frirends there, or go to HK and party up down there. "

This is called vibrancy. You have so much to do here. You can zip to another city and still enjoy the night life in and out .

So, understand your statement: one man's meat is another man's poison.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.