Author: middleway

What Exactly Is "Freedom"???? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-1 00:24:54 |Display all floors

The essence of your post is

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-1 00:29:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by elcaputo at 2008-5-31 11:24
the biggest obstacle is your ruling party. Allowing freedom for individuals means loosening the screws of control.

What you say is very true for me...... I live in the U.S.

As to this:
that, when you talk about freedom you mean material gains or material loss.

Not at all. When I was a child, the idea that I would be speaking daily to people in China would have seemed science fiction. That I can is a monumental step forward in respect to "freedoms", theirs and ours.

Though there are current limitations to what information is accessible on some networks, that these limtations are widely known to exist nullifies their entire purpose. In addition, the ultimate number of web users will in itself eliminate such operating procedures in time, which certain party members fully recognize.... Which may explain the move to educate/prepare Chinese web users, while simultaneously opening accessibility.

China realizes the detrimental aspects that occured in Russia could possibly occur in its own nation, so for people to say that China should immediately jump into new forms of government is not looking at the situation reallstically. China has taken a more measured approach, and to some outside looking in it may be difficult to understand. Change is carefully being implemented in every level of Chinese society (from civilian to military), the result of which could and can be seen in the way the recent tragedy was handled.

There are still challenges ahead, but the Chinese nation has proven the most resilient nation on earth. I suspect that in another 30 years, there will be people saying the same thing I said earlier, " When I was a child...." in respect to how much has changed.

[ Last edited by cbcronin at 2008-5-31 03:12 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-1 12:22:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2008-5-28 21:59
Freedom.  An ambiguous concept if you really think about it as you undoubtely are.

My colleagues and myself used to frequently discuss the modern world and how we fitted in to it. Like you we ca ...

Have you ever visited southern Europe at all, expatter?  They have equally as much (or far more of) an outdoor/street life culture as China does.

The reason why we don't sit outside playing cards in the UK isn't because we aren't free, but because the weather's dreadful.

And go to park in London when the weather is good - see all the people lounging around on the grass relaxing.  I rarely, if ever, see people doing that in China.  So your point is simplistic.

Also, with reference to cheap food, it's only vegetables and rice which are cheap in China.  Other food are about the same price as the UK, but salaries are much lower.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-6-1 13:19:25 |Display all floors

renegadedog9

Have you ever visited southern Europe at all, expatter?  They have equally as much (or far more of) an outdoor/street life culture as China does.

Many times.  I agree with you. Their lifestyle is much more outdoor and relaxed. But then so are their laws and people are not so stressed.

The reason why we don't sit outside playing cards in the UK isn't because we aren't free, but because the weather's dreadful.

Does this include the summer months when people would rather sit in their own gardens or lay on the beach.  Or is it because town infra structures and councils do not encourage pavement cafes.  I know they didn't used to in Bournemouth where several traders had tryed to set up external seating and been denied permission.  You missed the point that taxation in the U.K is a main factor  for people having to work so hard.  In addition, the petty fines system for any small infringements.  You are either a simpleton who is unaware of the tax system in the U.K and minor petty rules which abound in society there or one of the scroungers and spongers when you live there.

And go to park in London when the weather is good - see all the people lounging around on the grass relaxing.  I rarely, if ever, see people doing that in China.

You must live in a very backward city in China.  I have been to 22 cities in China over the past 14 years and the parks in those cities were always full at the weekends.  The city I live in currently has many beautiful parks but I don't use them.  Because they are too full of people with their kids enjoying themselves.  New glasses required here or leave the computer and go out for a walk at the weekends.  

Also, with reference to cheap food, it's only vegetables and rice which are cheap in China.  Other food are about the same price as the UK, but salaries are much lower.

Another truly amazing line with no facts or evidence.  For a start, foods which Chinese do not see as traditional such as dairy products are at least 40% cheaper, bread 50% cheaper and I am not going to provide other prices.  You should do this before you write but I will provide you with a link to bread and milk prices for the U.K just in case you cannot remember.  [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ ... hopping-basket.html]

And simplistic is very much the word for stating that people earn more in the U.K than China.  Wow! Another new fact.  What is ommitted is the cost of living in the U.K is exhorbitant and an example is petrol at 80% tax.

The U.K has succesively increased and increased taxtation just to throw it away on its ridiculous policies for social welfare and immigration.  This burden is a form of finnacial enslavement.  That was point.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-1 17:07:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by peterb at 2008-5-31 23:30
Another "hysterical" rant... ...by the professor of hysteria from Down Under.

And this coming from a 9/11 conspiracy nutcase ?
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-1 17:28:54 |Display all floors

A "nutcase"...

Originally posted by emucentral at 2008-6-1 17:07

And this coming from a 9/11 conspiracy nutcase ?

...is someone like you, emu, who resorts to name-calling when unable to convince through logic. Check your rants in the "An important clue" thread.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-1 17:41:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by renegadedog9 at 2008-6-1 12:22

And go to park in London when the weather is good - see all the people lounging around on the grass relaxing.  I rarely, if ever, see people doing that in China.  So your point is simplistic.

Is it safe to walk the streets in London?

Why are their news media talking about gun and knife crimes and loads of young people geting killed or wounded?
And what is this binge drinking that they are talking about?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.