Author: middleway

What Exactly Is "Freedom"???? [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-6-2 23:13:39 |Display all floors

pegasus01

Hi, there my friend.

What you say is very, very true and many of us state the same.  However, if you wanted to riot or hold protests or riots you would find your freedom quickly curtailed.  And that is much of the essence that is discussed on sites like this.

The Western proponents feel that being able riot and protest is an inalienable part of freedom.  People like myself know this is true, but I personally don’t like the harm to society caused in many circumstances by a minority.

Freedom in China is living within the rules and guidelines and you are then free to do anything you want.   Just like you, and I believe the circumstances in the West and China are so different that China needs a lot longer time before it places the responsibility on its citizens to respect the rights of others in order to gain their own full rights.

Ideals are great for people with money and a social security net, but not for a population who need to know where their food will come from next.

Enjoy your mountains, I think I would love the surroundings and then miss the bustle of a city.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-2 23:30:08 |Display all floors
Cafe culture never took off in Britain, and I suspect never will despite the best efforts of New Labour, because the weather is gash and the pub already existed - why drink a poncy coffee like a Frenchman when you can have a pint? Plus we're miserable a lot of the time and prefer to keep ourselves to ourselves.

'Is it safe to walk the streets in London?'

I managed it quite well on two separate days in different areas of London over the past week.

'Why are their news media talking about gun and knife crimes and loads of young people geting killed or wounded?'

Partly because there has been a spike (Pardon the pun) of knife crimes and killings recently and the media like a narrative. The selling point for these media reports is the younger age of the offenders and victims, but ultimately the number of murders in Britain remains pretty much the same as it was over 10 years ago.

'And what is this binge drink ... '

Not much different to the sort of drinking that has always taken place in Britain in all honesty. The percentages of alcohol may be a bit stronger now and women can now openly drink lots if they like, but the problems associated with 'binge'* drinking are much as they've always been - fights, vandalism, bad singing, etc.

* What constitutes a 'binge' is debateable and all hinged on the 'units' of alcohol contained in a drink. The government and doctors set a recommended amount of weekly units of alcohol that they say is safe to drink without causing further problems to health. Most people could happily pass that recommended level in a night and when you consider for hundreds of years we had to drink ale because the water was unsafe, it's not hard to see why the government doesn't get very far with their bleating.

According to the government, 3 pints of beer in a night is a binge. 3 pints is just warming up...

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-6-3 00:32:28 |Display all floors

thedacs

3 pints is just warming up. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-3 10:58:13 |Display all floors

Any poems about Iraq?

Originally posted by canadianbob at 2008-6-3 07:15
It is what was crushed,
along with the bodies of sincere,
but naive Chinese students and citizens,
on a June night in the central square,
in Beijing,
almost twenty years ago,
and its broken  ...

No? Didn't think so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-3 11:34:56 |Display all floors

Canadian Knob

There you go.  We should all live in the past and highlight the negative.  Today is proven by yesterday.

What date have you set for the hate the Germans day?  Many brave Canadians died.

What date have you set for the loath the Japanes day?  Many brave Canadians died.

What about a hate the French day?  Many brave Canadians died.

But you are not one of them.

The world has moved on somewhat but you are living in the past.  Remember that when it comes to  Canada having to own up to previous generations of mistakes and take personal responsibility for your part in it.  By your own reasoning you are guilty as well.  Can you take it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-5 03:13:02 |Display all floors

Excrapper.....

The Germans have changed their ways of thinking, changed their government, made amends, and have come to terms with what they did........so we forgive.

The Japanese have changed their ways of thinking, changed their government, and have made amends and come to terms somewhat (in limited and still unsatisfying ways).....so we forgive.

The French....? Do you mean in 1759? Your total ignorance of 250 years of our history is showing.

China is in total denial.

And for you  something that happened only twenty years ago is the fault of "previous generations".

So you are also in denial. Or you are endorsing what happened then.

I think it is both.

Can you take it? Can you live with yourself defending those butchers?
I think you are too simple-minded to be bothered by such things.
See only your own personal advantage in the present.
And kowtow to tyrants.
No wonder your perspective is so warped; crawling like that!

I hope you grow a spine someday to go with your eye.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-6-5 13:29:15 |Display all floors
Originally posted by canadianbob at 2008-6-5 04:13
The Germans have changed their ways of thinking, changed their government, made amends, and have come to terms with what they did........so we forgive.

The Japanese have changed their ways of th ...

The Japanese have changed their ways of thinking, ........., and have made amends and come to terms somewhat (in limited and still unsatisfying ways).....so we forgive.

So?  Did they? Unless they did it to you personally, the rest of the world isn't aware of it. Just dig a bit into history before writing nonsense.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.