Author: middleway

What Exactly Is "Freedom"???? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-2 05:51:19 |Display all floors
Expatter,

That's odd. When I moved to California, there was a great increase in the amount of street life compared to Oklahoma because the climate is much better even though there are far more regulations. The difference between the two is that Oklahoma has oppressive winters and oppressive summers while California has a pretty mild Mediterranean climate all year.

It would seem like Renegade is correct here: changes in the amount of regulation don't really create street life except at far extremes like North Korea. Besides which, regulations exist because people need to resolve disputes in a predictable way. It isn't an infringement on people's freedom because the regulations were generated in response to some private action that was seen to diminish the freedom of neighbors. The ability to open a sidewalk cafe is not an increase in freedom if that means blocking all the people on the sidewalk.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-2 07:56:47 |Display all floors
Expatter - there are parks in China, but I've not seen many with open lawns which you can just laze around on like in the UK.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-2 07:57:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by buddy35 at 2008-6-1 17:41
Is it safe to walk the streets in London?

Why are their news media talking about gun and knife crimes and loads of young people geting killed or wounded?
And what is this binge drink ...

I don't know, I am from a rough area and have spent many a summer day lounging in the park without the slightest hint of danger.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-2 08:12:01 |Display all floors
Btw expatter.  Have you noticed how the outdoor tables in China get moved on every couple of months? So they clearly aren't exactly 'legit' here either.  As cities get more 'modern' and laws get enforced more strictly, inevitably, the outdoor barbecue places will all but disappear.  I've seen this happening in both cities I've lived in (Wuhan and Dalian).

Meanwhile, all those great beer gardens in the UK continue to exist quite peacefully.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-6-2 13:19:04 |Display all floors

interesting

Certainly, climate will account for some of this which I experienced when I lived in Australia and New Zealand.  But the infrastructure in the U.K mostly goes back to the Victorian model in many cities.  The pavement or sidewalk in the vernacular is just a few feet and then you have the wall of the building.  So old and cramped.  Even if the pavement is wide you will still not get permission to use it.  In the newer towns they have made Al Fresco cafes but it is not common.  One of the things America is lucky with and also Aussie and NZ is that their towns mostly have wide roads and pavements.

British councils do not like the idea of people using a part of a council walkway for their use and for the pleasure of the public because it runs into the laws on rights and property.  If you can prove usage going back several years then you have the right to that said property.  It happened with us with a business we owned.  Their was a walkway around the back of the property which had been established over 10 years.  We tried to close it off as there was possibly a potential danger to the public and ended up losing it and having to pay for and put safety measures in place.

Just part of the raft of laws against business and avoided by councils.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-6-2 13:31:40 |Display all floors

renegadedog9

Yes, they certainly are dynamic in their usage.  We went to one the other evening with a group of 8 and they didn't want to put the street tables out because it is too early.  Seems the police day shift are not in on the kickbacks.  In the eveenings they are ubiquitous and have the habit of using the whole pavement so that no one can get past.  Ahhh, Chinese style.  I think that kind of makes the point that across China apert from Beijing and Shanghai people break the law but it is not as enforced as elsewhere.  This  also shows the Chinese willingness to break the law and it beggars the question are they ready for total all out freedom or would they be masters of abuse against a free society.  Over 10 years ago I asked why every house had a cupboard with boxed medicines from floor to ceiling and the answer was it was free.  Because it was free they abused it and it later changed to a system where it had to be paid for.

I went to Wuhan several times and from what I can remember it is like Nanjing an older city with smaller streets and less park area.

Ayyaa!  Please don't mention those lovely beer gardens.  Makes me crave for a really hot summers day say 25 degrees with a slight breeze a cool beer and a big laddy- dah.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-2 16:55:08 |Display all floors
I am from a remote mountain village, there is no any other limitation on my freedom whatever and however i desire and i wanna and i do. pure freedom is available to me at my hideout.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.