Author: middleway

China Has "Officially" Entered The Next Level Of Development [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-24 18:42:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-5-24 18:17
Ummmm....

There are only three stages of development: undeveloped, developing and developed. China has been in the second category since about 1820 and that has not changed recently.

I would be interested to see what you consider the criteria to be for these three categories?
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 18:47:14 |Display all floors
I'm interested in the 1820 date that interesting talks about. What happened in 1820?

All I know that happened around that time is that the British Empire was "exploring" the entire world, and CHina was the only nation they came across that didn't actually want anything off them because they were already more developed. And the British Empire did not know how to handle that, it threw them into all sorts of confusion... "What? A nation that doesn't NEED anything off us? A nation that is MORE DEVELOPED than us? The mighty British Empire?! Impossible!"

And so what was the result? The Opium War.

[ Last edited by middleway at 2008-5-24 06:48 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 18:49:44 |Display all floors
And when you look at some foreigners reactions to China's current development progress, you can ask the question... what has actually changed since then????

I'm a foreigner too by the way, but I'm totally supporting the Chinese side on this one!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 18:58:17 |Display all floors
MW,

Your history is quite confused. Prior to 1820, European powers couldn't make inroads into China, so China's decline isn't the result of Europe. Indeed, China actually declines relative to China historically. The date 1820 was chosen because it corresponds to the middle of early railroad development with the first steam locomotive 10 years prior and the Stockton and Darlington 5 years later. Since it is railroads that ultimately define the industrial revolution, that seems like a good date. Another good date would have been 1840, to correspond with telegraph deployment, another major one. I go with railroads, however, as the more important invention which starts to create the clearest difference between industrial and pre-industrial societies.

Since China didn't catch this curve, it fell behind the technological edge starting in that date. Up to that point, it had kept decent pace because, until the industrial revolution heated up, a lot of European scientific discoveries wouldn't generate large gaps.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 19:01:12 |Display all floors
Also, China was not more developed than Britain. The major issue for British traders was that the Qing handled all trade officially and they were only interested in silver. By the time of the Opium War, it was pretty clear that China was an essentially medieval state and Britain an essentially modern one.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-24 19:05:30 |Display all floors
so defining a country as developed depends entirely on the industrial revolution? I disagree. China was more advanced in sooooooo many more ways than Europe and America. They had banks, paper money, thousands of years of philosophy and wisdom, 5 schools of cooking or whatever it was compared to the meat-eatingwests crap diets. China was a more advanced civilisation in my opinion. The industrial revolution allowing Europe to expand and explore and create more powerful weapons in order to dominate other countries does not class them as more developed, and it also does not class "developed" countries as beginning during this period.

You're a smart guy in many ways interesting, I appreciate your knowledge of history, but I think you're confusing things here.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-5-24 19:06:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by middleway at 2008-5-24 19:49
And when you look at some foreigners reactions to China's current development progress, you can ask the question... what has actually changed since then????

I'm a foreigner too by the way, but I ...

Don't be confused. Listen to the expert. He told the audience at an earlier date that Britain and Europe's colonial powers are not to blame for China's demise, rather the Chinese should be grateful for it. Also there was no opium forced upon them. They just asked for it.  

As I said before, nothing beats an expert.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.