Author: thirdpole

My dear baby, if you can survive, remember I love you [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-19 07:15:23 |Display all floors
"cretin lurking, stench of scum, flotsam and jetsam"I was aghast at your potency of enumerating cusswords and then couldn't help but laugh.  these derogatory terms,which i have to admit, i wouldn't know the exact meanings without help of a dictionary,( and my admiration for you just ends there ) are just another proof that internet could be a violent tool. If you are so eager to proove you are as loyal and sympathetic to this land and its people as anybody else is, there are many other productive ways rather than cursing those who'd rather remain calm and critical and analytical at all times including this tragic moment.  You might remember a fake Putlizer Prize winning STORY in 1980s: Jimmy's World, how many people were moved by the fabricated story designed to raise people's awareness towards drug problem among teenagers  The intention of the fabrication was all good if the author didn't want to earn honors in the first place.

I recall the first time I was so amused when my journalism professor told us that a news-reporting ARTICLE you read  on paper is called  a STORY in English.  Those excellent practitioners are admired for their skillful ART OF STORY-TELLING, which I believe is the root cause of news fabrication, journalists are simply so eager to hone their story-telling skills with a view to sensantionalize their stories and occasionally, totally forgetting to abide by their work ethics that  truthful portray of the event as it is should be their  primary task AT ALL TIMES.

There's an obvious shift in the coverage of earthquake on the Chinese media: from the great extent of the disaster to rescue work racing against time and now, as fewer and fewer victims were pulled out alive from the debris, the media is trying to comfort the horrified public by broadcasting images of those very few being rescued, giving people hope is the watchword.  In this context, there comes no surprise that such a teargas story would possibly be cooked up.

Last but not the least, cheating is cheating, no matter how good the intention is.   But again, I wish I was wrong this time.

P.S.A friendly reminder, this forum is, presumably, to offer a platform for intelligent, meaningful and liberal discussions meant to care for the well-beings of Chinese people, rather than a show-stage of cussword parade.

[ Last edited by reportersh at 2008-5-19 07:38 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-19 09:32:57 |Display all floors

The is a flip side .

reporter ,

I have added my objective take on the whole issue on post # 14  . Please read and digest it . My only question left : can you prove to us that this story is a fabricated  " story telling " version of that unethical and unprofessional journalism that your professor taught you ? The corollary  to that lesson must surely be ; if you castigate a story as untrue , you should provide evidence that it is made up as well ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-19 10:06:43 |Display all floors
Reportersh,

The story is doubtful as sensationalized. A better bet is that the text message is false (no one would have checked and the battery would have died) and the woman was killed fairly quickly or knocked out (blow to the head, maybe) while trying to escape the house with her baby, carrying it facing her and close to her abdomen. When she was killed, she crumpled into that position and her body took the blows from falling debris.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-19 10:38:39 |Display all floors
Strange that, my Nokia battery can stand for more than a week, switched on.

My previous Philips may stand for more than a month.

Ohh I forgot, many of world's cellphone manufacturer sell their newest design in Asia first.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-19 10:41:22 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-19 10:43:47 |Display all floors
I'd ask you the same thing, my story is much more likely to be true.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-19 10:48:12 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.