Author: dragons

The USA, RSA, and UK Political Merry-Go-Round. Revised [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-6-5 17:30:55 |Display all floors
'Have you considered how hot SUMMER is in Kuala Lumpur?

hmmm'

Betty Swollocks weather I bet, but if you want a cooler summer place in Britain, find somewhere close to London rather than the city itself if you want clean, fresh air, rolling countryside and lots of space. London is easily accessible, but not the most pleasent in summer.

dragons

Unity is going through a strange time here. The Scots are having a great old time with devolution and more autonomy - their university fees are non-existant for Scottish students, while English students will pay a minimum of £9,000 for their university education. Scottish healthcare seems to have taken a better turn than that available to the English since devolution - and such things feed into each other, so that the Scots will want want further autonomy and, the logical extension, independence.

Fine by me as an Englishman really, as Englishness is finally reawakening after the hundreds of years of being seen as just British and why shouldn't the Scots get to resolve their own matters. God knows they have been treated badly by the English before (With the Poll Tax being a final straw for many) so good luck to them. The ties that bind us as Britons will always remain as we're far too mixed and mongrel an island to have any 'purity'.

What has done the most to foster this newfound desire to go our separate ways is ot just devolution, but also the denigration of Britishness by the now dominant left-wing establishment. For as long as I can remember (i'm 32 now) it has been the trendy thing to sneer at Britishness, the institutions, the history, the culture and people, while focusing solely on the flawsor horrors inflicted by Empire. Fair enough in some respects as there is still a rump of the population that lionises Empire and a balance is always needed. But it went to far, so that people were ashamed or afraid to fly the British flag lest they were labelled 'racist' and made a pariah.

Such things add up over time and while it may have made people not want to be proud to be British, it unleashed the pride in being Sots or English, where we know what our cultures are regardless of the sniffy contempt of the left. The logical conclusion to that is the separation of the UK, back to the historic and longer-lived nation states of England and Scotland.

The irony of course, is that one union will be dismantled before all the constitunt nations join up to the European Union and become subsumed within that.

Britain will never be 'Great' again I don't think dragons as we had to forge an Empire partly at the end of a gun barrel to really become so in the sense of a superpower. The culture, innovation within the island may well flourish again at certain points but the union is tired, weary and stale. If we completely revamped our political system we might get there but as we are now, there is only a downward slide (Which may be no bad thing in itself).

The EU may be a model for unification but is fraught with difficulties, as any union which tries to join so many disparate nations together will be. It all comes down to consent though really to overcome those, unless you just keep the usual elite contempt for the people and do what you want anyway regardless. Consent and willingness to a union, then the long process of making the same law, etc the same in all those unified nations.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-7 13:49:09 |Display all floors

respond to reply #65, theDac

Originally posted by thedacs at 2008-6-5 17:30

hmmm'

Betty Swollocks weather I bet, but if you want a cooler summer place in Britain, find somewhere close to London rather than the c ...

By now all of you should know that I am a  very quality oriented person, I am very critical of the comments that I wrote or those that were written to me.  The reason is I was a QA/QC expert for environmental organizations.   By far, TheDac is one of the wisest among the all the people who have given replies in this entire web site, except I am the wisest.  Your replies and questions are highly thought provoking and have touched on too many topics which may require more than 3 or 4 posts to full cover your entire spectrum which is exactly the point I am going to make.   The greatest contributions of the Scottish people to the United Kingdom were neither its oil reserve, hydro-electric power, nor beautiful scenary but their people.  The quality of Scottish human resources are perhaps equal, if not surpassed,  those of the English.  The reason why such high quality of the Scottish were ignored by the English can, as usual, be attributed our age-old common enemies, the Americans and their false indoctrinations.  Everyone knows there is a distinct and wide spread human resource quality difference between the many American racial groups.  Such racial difference have made human resources in the United States a liability rather asset to their country and the world.  The problem is not so much as education, literacy or training but also those minorities' work ethic and other attitudes at the work place.  This is the reason why many American jobs were being outsourced not only to China, India whose salary are cheaper but also to Great Britain when their salary are almost at the same level as in the U. S.    On the contrary, the English have not been able to "enslave," for the lack of a better word, their Scottish labor force as well as the American did that is the reason why many Englishmen think giving the Scots a better education is a waste of money.  A Cantonese proverb:  "A well fed worker works harder" which is a simple theory.   I once read an article about the top 100 most famous and successful persons which have certainly included modern China's founding father Dr. Sun Yat-sen, Chairman Mao Tze-tung, Muhammad, Moses, Mencius, Michelangelo, Magellan, J.P.Morgan, McDonald the fast food restaurant owner, Mars (Why so many "M & M"s?), Confucius, Aristotle, Alexander the Great, Napoleon Boneparte, Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Goethe, Ian Flemming, William Shakespeare, William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) inventor of thermometer, Alexander Graham Bell, James Watt, James Dewar, Eli Whitney, Nobel, Strobel, and Hubble, etc....  I like chemistry!   You will wonder why I didn't mention Jesus Christ because I personally don't think he was/is (due to "resurrction"!) a successful person but the greatest villain of all time because his ideology (really not a religion) have created countless wars/lost of lives and complete destruction to our natural resources, environment  and all indigenous people using spreading religious ideas as an excuse.  Scots are among the most popular of those famous people mentioned in that article which was quite obvious according to the author who is also a Scot. But still the contributions of the Scottish people to our world cannot be ignored which include the author of that article.  Furthermore if you count all those on the list who are people of predominately white Anglo-Saxon ancestry then they will make up more than half of the list, also consider Anglo-Saxons population relative to world other population, which is a great achievement.  I urge, again, the English people to treasure the abilities of their Scottish brother and keep their Kingdom united!

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-7 14:32:56 |Display all floors

respond to reply #64. caringhk

Originally posted by caringhk at 2008-6-5 12:59

now hillary is OUT, will race still matters???

The race is certain on.   On the contray Hillary is not completely out yet.    Certainly this presidential race matters.  It matters to the Americans and the world more than other races in history.  If that the "race" you worry about.  You need to be more specific when asking questions.   If you are wondering whether racial differences matter, which is another issue.  Then race also matter and is the only thing that is matter the most.  Hillary should team up with McCain to assure White victory.  Please read me my thread in "United States" section of China Daily about "Election Summary and Comments."   Imagine what will happen if Obama was to lose to Hillary in the primary  then Blacks will have absolutely no representation in U.S. federal government and politic in the next 4 years.  What an achievement!  I think Black will vote exclusively for Black, and White should also vote exclusively for White if their race is smart enough not to be fool by remarks such as racial equality, equal rights and affirmative action even for president.  Other issues really doesn't matter because their "promises" can always change to suit current needs and changes.   If White lost this presidential election for having silly  fun and foolish creativity by saying, "the first Black is elected president, we are a affirmative America!" the they will be on an one way street to the abyss.  A journey of no return away from Caucasian power in American Presidential, federal, state and local politic.   Black will passed gun control legislations making future White majority revolts and coups impossible.   Black will also quickly initiate open door policies inviting Black to immigrate to the U. S. making Black the majority.  Not even Hispanics will be invited but only they will be fooled by Black promises.  Obama will also initiate wars with other nations such as China, Russia, European Unions, Britain, even Islamic countries by using supports from his African alliance for pure benefitablity of controlling Western and Asian assets and resources such as petroleum.   If you know African mantality, their number one concern is and always have been profitability over all decency.    By initiating wars Obama will have much firmer control over the military which may even result in World War III.   The risks are too great to justify his promises.   Never believe in anything Blacks tell you!   The Chinese government should not have invested in Nigeria.  On the other hand, Chinese should also be creative in exploration and  discovery because there are always good lessons to be learned.

[ Last edited by dragons at 2008-6-7 03:39 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-8 13:53:46 |Display all floors

hmmm'

Betty Swollocks weather I bet, but if you want a cooler summer place in Britain, find somewhere close to London rather than the c ...

If there are any separation of the UK, such separation will soon come as a nightmare for both in cases when their relationship worsen.   That both side will have to end up closing and arming their borders.   Fishing right and water right at coastal regions, rivers and dams will be bitterly disputed.   There will trade issue and political issues up to marriage liscenses and inheritence and estate taxes for people separated on both side.   Sooner or later will become something similar to the Berlin wall separating family and friend.  Who know when a war or army confrontation will occur similar to Nothern Ireland somewhere in both country.  Therefore no Briton should even consider separation.   Those unforeseen will certain amount to billions if not trillions of Bristish Pounds (GBP) to the tax payers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-8 16:39:01 |Display all floors

respond to reply #65, the Dac

hmmm'

hmmm'

If there are any separations to the UK, such separations will soon come as a nightmare for both countries when their relationship worsen.   Both side will have to end up closing and arming their borders.   Fishing rights and water rights at coastal regions, rivers and dams will be bitterly disputed.   There will be trade issue and political issues to contend with all the way down to driver/marriage liscenses, inheritence and estate taxes for people who are separated from both sides.   Sooner or later their ordeals will become something similar to the Berlin Wall separating family and friend.  Who know when a war or army confrontation will occur similar to Nothern Ireland somewhere in both country?  Therefore, no Briton should even consider such separations.   Such unforeseen problems will certainly amount to billions, if not trillions, of Bristish Pounds (GBP) to their tax payers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-9 19:53:09 |Display all floors

To dragons

'The reason why such high quality of the Scottish were ignored by the English can, as usual, be attributed our age-old common enemies, the Americans and their false indoctrinations.'

I don't think the emnity between the English and the Scots has anything to do with the Americans, as England and Scotland had been enemies long before North America was even discovered by Europeans.
Scotland, as the smaller nation, has always had something of an inferiority complex toward England, and definitely an underdog status, while England has definitely had a superiority complex towards the Scots and measured itself against France.
England and Scotland have gone to war a fair few times from the Middle Ages onwards - Bannockburn, Culloden, etc - and indeed the national anthem of England (And...er...the United Kingdom) contains the line 'hammer of the Scots'. Not a reference to a magical hammer possessed by the Scottish, but a reference to Edward the First who defeated the Scots in battle (At around a similar time when China was dealing with the Kublai Khan and the Mongol hordes).

Anyway, yes the Scottish people have been very industrious, with much of the good stuff coming from Britain due to them, especially in days of Empire. In fact, it is argued that the British Empire was very beneficial for the Scots, allowing them a whole world in which to make their fortunes. Which many did.

One thing that differentiates Scotland from England is Jesus Christ, or rather the denomination of Protestantism that the Scots went with - Calvinism. A particuarly austere brand of Christianity that involved little in the way of fun or smiling, but was very, very hard-working. It rather matches the bleakness of the Highlands. It might also explain why the Scots (Many of whom are still Catholic) are more involved in the politics of Northern Ireland than the English or Welsh. Sectarian violence and discrimination is as rife in some parts of Scotland as it is in Northern Ireland.

Incidentally dragons, if Scotland and England did go their separate ways, while there would undoubtably be political arguments regarding certain areas, they certainly wouldn't become hostile powers or indeed even do anything much with borders. There might be a few problems trying to marry two different systems, although the systems each country uses now are slightly different in many respects. Plus, there is the precedent of the Republic of Ireland - whose citizens enjoy much the same rights in Britain as the British, including voting. Besides, as a mongrel island, the blood of the English and Scottish is pretty well mixed now.

Whether we'll still have a Kingdom after Queen Elizabeth II dies is open to question I think. Monarchy is fairly irrelevent now, it doesn't have any powers other than the ceremonial and while those who fought and lived through the Second World War have a certain respect for the Queen, the younger generations have less so and little respect for the next King, Charles. If the Australians vote for a republic (And good on them) then it might lead to a few questions being asked in Britain as to whether we want to keep this forelock-tugging relic of a bygone and backwards age alive and at our, the taxpayers, expense. We might get rid of them or, more likely, we'll shrug our shoulders and see the monarchy does no harm so keep them in place.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-6-11 17:27:21 |Display all floors

respond to reply #71. TheDac

Originally posted by thedacs at 2008-6-9 19:53
'The reason why such high quality of the Scottish were ignored by the English can, as usual, be attributed our age-old common enemies, the Americans and their false indoctrinations.'

I don't thi ...

All separations within the United Kingdom are, quite simply, forbidden by The Environment, Heaven, God and the Devil, etc....    In addition, Southern Ireland must also be reunited with the United Kindom to confront the United States.  Unless all of those people living in the British Isles want to suffer tremendously and then be killed immediately,  do not oppose my commands!   Also ask all your countrymen to read my posts.  Please read two (2) of my threads on:

"Is Cyclone Nargis at Myanmar that killed 100000 people a supernatural phenomena?"

[ Last edited by dragons at 2008-6-11 05:31 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.