Author: mandywr

Is China demonized by western media [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-13 11:51:51 |Display all floors

That Great Unwashed .

Dear sock_monkey ,

Thank you again for your point of view . It is thoroughly valid . However , in order to get along internationally , the first thing a " superpower " needs to be mindful of is other people's sensibilities and sensitivities .  To say that lots of Americans do switch off to these goons is no consolation for the Chinese , especially those who would like to make friends with good and well mannered Americans . Chinese and Asians do follow Confucius teachings and we are loathed to bag others like this unless we are doing it in response . What about the rest of the deliberate and crafted misinformation about the situation in Tibet ?  I am NOT holding you responsible for their ill mannered behavior , I am just putting forward my point of view .

As you can see here , there is a cacophony of baying and bleating by the unwashed right behind us , as we speak . We must keep our patience and tolerance and put up with them , or else we will go mad .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-13 12:26:13 |Display all floors
A certain Cafferty of the CNN fame went so far as to brand ALL CHINESE as " goons and thugs " .

Please provide the text and evidence that he called "ALL CHINESE" goons and thugs. Either you're a liar or you have a severe learning disability. Did you take the small yellow bus to school?

If you saw and heard the show like I have, you'd know that Cafferty was talking about the Chinese government and their lax laws involving the export of tainted products.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-13 12:30:07 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-13 13:38:58 |Display all floors
I think we should hear more of their opinions and judge whether they are right or not.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-13 13:44:14 |Display all floors
Wastern media have their own speech freedom and they are just doing their business. There may be something we did wrong so we must accept their criticism. What's more, there lie some differences in ideology between China and the west.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-13 17:13:06 |Display all floors
Dear mengzhi,

Thanks for your reply. I couldn't agree with you more.:) I suppose that you have figured out by now that I am no fan of the present government in America. The sooner they leave office, the better off the world will be. However, I am not so foolish as to believe that the next administration will always act in our (the American public) best interest either. But anything will be an improvement over the goons and thugs (to borrow a phrase ) we've had in office for the past eight years. They lack the ability to be mindful of the sensibilities and sensitivities of those abroad. This ability is in the best interest of every country, not just in regards to US/China relations….and therein lies the sticking point.

I have my own theory about this. From the time we are young tots, Americans are encouraged to be independent, to think for ourselves, and to speak our minds. We're inculcated with the belief that these qualities make for an adult who can "stand on his or her own two feet".

And while I admire these traits and believe that they are valuable, taken to their extreme they can result in what we call the "cowboy mentality" (think George Bush). This type of person has little regard for others, for he (or she, it's not gender specific) sees his needs as primary and the needs of others as secondary. Some call this independence, others call it egocentric. Either way, this type of person not only feels entitled to his own opinion, but also feels entitled to intimidate others into accepting it. The end result is that this type of person believes strongly that his opinion is the only valid opinion, so much so that he feels its a waste of time to listen to the opinions of others - "your either with us or your against us" sort of logic. Needless to say it doesn't go over very well outside of the US.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-13 17:16:26 |Display all floors

We have dignity.

meiguo the menace,

There is nothing that I can show or tell you that is likely to change your mind, right ? Your cranium is a cement case sealed and isolated from the real world. Your rabid rants with all the juvenile hyperbole over and over place you in the category of an autistic.

The Chinese will carry on defending themselves with dignity and decorum and not wish to go down into the sewer where you live.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.