Views: 31442|Replies: 349

Visas [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-4-28 00:01:58 |Display all floors
Well not much here about visas?

Went to Macau today and there were about 30 Border Police sitting at temporary service desks in the main area just in front of the border crossing.  Went to talk to them to ask what is happening as I have visitors coming over and I wanted to be sure. Normally as they are Brits they can fly into Hong Kong with no visa then cross from the air terminal via ferry to Zhuhai and get a visa at the entry desk.  Once in Zhuhai they can go to Macau using the same procedure.

The Border Police were very helpful and friendly and even took pictures and video of my interview with the officers.  This typeof thing normally appears as a byte on the news.  They informed me that due to the Olympics all foreigners coming to China had to get their visas from the Chinese Embassy in their own countries due to tightened security but this would normalize after the Olympics.  This probably means access to better information from the home country network.

We went through border security to Macau and they were slightly more alert than normal but not too bad, and stayed there the day and on return lined up to reenter China and boy were they being thorough with the passport inspections for foreigners.  They were basically looking for forged documents.  Again we had a chat with the border officer who again was very friendly and he also said they had instructions to pay much more attention to entry documents in case of forgery in the run-up to the Olympics.  So it seems it is just a general tightening of the rules for this period to the Olympics.  Certainly the attitude of the police has not changed and they are friendly and efficient as usual.

The front page of the Hong Kong Sunday Morning Post reported that 3 people had been turned away at the airport.   They are well know human rights activists who had planned to stage protests at the torch ceremonies.  The paper states that all activists and protesters will be refused entry. The front page of the paper also reports the contents of the AFP report on the Japanese torch ceromony scuffles.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-28 10:06:14 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-4-28 11:58:33 |Display all floors
Hey good to hear from you zglobal thanks for the reply.

That's strange.  I thought I had posted this on the other visa thread. The one that has become quite vitriolic in a mind numbing way and full of posts which are nothing more than a smiley.

You know when I look at 11 pages of JBG and those that are trying to defrock this sad creature, I wonder whether the CD will show this to others and say: 'Look this is free speech.  Does it have a purpose?"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-28 16:36:51 |Display all floors

Reply #1 expatter's post

I checked at the China Travel Service the last time I was in HK.

They confirmed that multi-entry visas had been suspended until after the Olympics.

They - the HK China Travel Service - can issue a 1 month, 1 entry visa or a 3 month 2 entry Business visa.

Passport with previous visas showing are necessary to obtain the 3 month type.

Businessmen already in China and with previously granted one or more multi-entry Business visas, do not have to return to their home country to renew their visa, but people who have not been to China before will need to obtain their visa before entering China: from their home country if flying right to Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou, or from HK (although there may be other restrictions for getting one in HK, I didn't ask since that doesn't impact on me or the other businessmen I know, but during the GZ Fair I ran into some old clients from Germany, Austria and Spain that obtained their visas in HK).

Not a big deal, and certainly a far sight easier than a Chinese person going through the incredible hassle of trying to get a visa to Canada, Britain, Australia or the States, but then again, if one is a criminal running away from the law in China with all the money they can steal, and if they have at least 1 million USD - and enough for a "stipend" to the "right people" in the local govt. in the destination country - they can always just legally buy landed criminal - er...um...make that landed "immigrant" - status.

I've always advocated that China operate their visa system the same way it is in other countries. You know: jump through hoops, stand in line for hours, be denied because the foreigner making the "final" decision didn't like the glasses one was wearing, be denied because the foreigner making the "final" decision "felt" that the applicant would not return to their home country as soon as the two-week visa expired, requiring the applicant to provide all manner of documentation such as: invitation letter, bank account details, guarantee of medical coverage, address of planned stay, full family details including extended family, confirmation of host's (if a business) business address, business license, etc.

Yes, China is one the most accommodating nations I have ever traveled to - countries that is, that have the requirement for Canadians to obtain a visa.

Making a law on "Temporary Adjustments to Visa Procedures" seems nothing except being prudent.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-28 19:22:20 |Display all floors
Hi Oneweare

Yes, what I was mentioning was that it is not as easy and you cannot get them at the border as before.

If my friends fly into Hong Kong they can still get the visa in Hong Kong then from the Hong Kong travel service?

Getting the visa in the U.K as mentioned in your post is a nightmare.  Go to London get in a huge queue and then go back the next day, which is freat if you live hundreds of miles away.  Or of course there is Manchester but again the distance.

Thanks for you ciggy post the other day.  I bought some of the cigs Z buys.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-28 20:13:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 28-4-2008 11:22 AM
Getting the visa in the U.K as mentioned in your post is a nightmare.  Go to London get in a huge queue and then go back the next day, which is freat if you live hundreds of miles away.  Or of course there is Manchester but again the distance.

4 hours solid queuing once to avoid the return the next day

Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-28 20:52:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tmphgt at 2008-4-28 20:13

4 hours solid queuing once to avoid the return the next day

4 hours solid queing after a Chinese holiday. Then another 4 hours queing the following day to collect it. Not to mention the time and expense of travelling to London and back twice.

Made a few friends in the queue though.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.