Author: expatter

Visas [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-8 20:35:16 |Display all floors

Oh...

Originally posted by zglobal at 5/8/2008 12:46 AM
Longzhou... I would agree with you in all aspects EXCEPT the Hong Kong and Guangdong situation.
They are now so closely tied after the CHINESE government encouraged it to be.
Are they, or are they not both in China?  

... common sense says yes - but legally, there is that 40 year pause (until 2037?) was Hong Kong is in a S.A.R. limbo.  To that end - there is going to be some confusion on travel issues like this.

If this is a sign of a major shakeup - then the Hong Kong/GuangDong loophole may be sewn shut.  If so, might be seeing the second major exodus out of HK.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-5-8 20:45:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2008-5-8 21:35

... common sense says yes - but legally, there is that 40 year pause (until 2037?) was Hong Kong is in a S.A.R. limbo.  To that end - there is going to be some confusion on travel issues like t ...

If this is a sign of a major shakeup - then the Hong Kong/GuangDong loophole may be sewn shut.

TV,

This is no major shakeup. They just apply the rules as do other nations - the US for instance - as well when it comes to visa procedures.

Att: ZG,

I talked to the Consular section of the Chinese embassy today. According to them it takes 2 days to issue a new visa (my old one is still valid) and indeed only for 2 business trips. I envy the Japanese. They can travel to China without a visa and this rule remains as it was. Well, I guess the reason has something to do with weird Westerners who are running berserk because of T b. damned.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-8 21:44:38 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-8 21:46:51 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-5-8 21:48:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 2008-5-8 22:46
Satsu
Standard visa in Hk takes 4 days, 3 nights and costs HKD650.
The fast visa is optional in 2 days, 1 night and costs HKD1300.
Plus travel,plus hotels, plus expenses.
...and being HK you ca ...

Puhhh, this is an expensive affair.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-8 22:15:51 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-9 00:22:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 2008-5-8 19:07
This situation is going to get much worse for China and for Guangdong Companies in general.

No question. And it is either going to get worse - or better.

There are really only two choices for the China govt: either they stay firm with the decision and do great damage to the China economy, or they make amendments that will allow those who have been doing business with Chinese companies for years and come and go many times - thus the multi-entry business visa - to be able to obtain the business visa needed, or they will continue on the current track they are on and just accept the losses of many, many millions of USD for just the next few months. The biggest danger is that if it does last for even another month, it will be for years, because those companies that do find a source for their products elsewhere will not be easily drawn back to doing business with Chinese companies.

If the China govt. has decided it is worth the loss of many millions to throw the baby out with the bath water then there is nothing anyone can do about it.

I have already been in contact with some companies for whom I consult and they have all told me that if I - or someone else - cannot visit the factories they buy from to do Quality Control and supervise during the production process, then they will simply stop buying from China, period. They cannot just trust that the factory will do adequate QC and if they have no other options then they will find a factory in Vietnam or Thailand - or Mexico or other S. American countries for my American clients. Two of my European clients have just canceled their orders and have decided to give their money to Eastern European countries and double their savings by stopping the exorbitant shipping costs from China to Europe.

Too bad, because it means the terrorists win and that isn't necessary...but hey, at least the backpacking phony non-accredited "English" teachers will be gone.

So if the economy is no longer a priority for the China govt then there is nothing that anyone can do about it. Their country, their foot to shoot themselves in if that is their decision.

If I no longer have any business then I'll simply end my 20 years of paying double tax - one to the China govt and one to the Canadian govt - and find a new environment for wifey and I. No sense in staying here even though legally if there isn't any business, and I sure as he*l am not about to live in the he*lhole that is HK, so globe trotting we will go!

But we'll see what the next month or so brings. No sense worrying about it because all that does is give one an ulcer.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.