Author: expatter

Visas [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-8 14:12:47 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 4

Post time 2008-5-8 17:45:19 |Display all floors

Reply #42 zglobal's post

Hey Mighty Duck.

Thing is, HK people - those with HK ID cards, don't even need a visa to enter China so that really is a moot point.

If it is a foreigner living in HK - and many do I know, just on their entry visas (mine gives me three months stay every time and takes up a lot of useful space in my passport just to go to HK and be treated like a second-class citizen because I smoke) - then again, those foreigners are even in HK illegally. The entry visa they get when they arrive in HK is not a working visa, it is a tourist visa.

So HK people - those with HK ID, have nothing to worry about. Foreigners living in HK will, undoubtedly, have something to worry about.

But it is similar to the stringent policy shift in HK a few years ago in relation to people from the sub-continent. They would live and work illegally in HK for the duration of their tourist visa, then run across the border into Shenzhen for a few hours, and then cross back into HK to get another new 3-month or whatever duration visa and continue to work and live in HK illegally. Then, the HK government changed it to require (I believe anyway, clarification about the actual time length would need to come from someone from India or Pakistan or Bangladesh) - at least a 24 hour stay outside of HK before a new entry visa would be granted.

I agree it is going to be a problem for many, but this really isn't something that just happened overnight, unlike some have tried to state.

The formal announcement may have just been promulgated, but even the China Travel Service in HK stopped issuing 6 month multi-entry visas nearly a month ago. At least, when I went to HK in early April and went and checked, they told me then that 6-month multi-entries were suspended.

As Sun Yat Sen once said: "An individual should not have too much freedom. A nation should have absolute freedom."

Things have been coming to a head for some time. It has been many months since the ability to obtain 1-year multi-entry visas in HK was canceled.

Writing on the wall? Well, in hindsight it certainly seems so. But getting our collective feathers in a ruffled state accomplishes nothing. The new regulations are now in force and they are not going to quickly change - although I hope for some modifications for regular and long-time businessmen as I do agree that this is going to cause considerable losses both domestically and for international companies.

Still, there is just no way I can fault either the reasoning behind the changes or the changes themselves.

It may just be - as another has pointed out - a way to finally do what the govt. has been wanting to do for some time, and that is to strengthen both the visa regulations and the enforcement of the law in respect to violations.

We will just have to deal with it...and I'll have to deal with it next month.

By the way, I also heard from my usual travel agent in HK over the phone yesterday, that Cathay Pacific has already increased fares so they can take advantage of anyone having to return to their point of origin. All other airlines - at least those going "South and East" will probably also soon increase their fares - she says - to participate in what they think might be a windfall for them.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 4

Post time 2008-5-8 17:49:31 |Display all floors
There is another aspect to consider oh Mighty Duck.

How often do you go to HK? I might not go for two months or more - which, by the way, I have on good authority has also been amended with the new procedures that requires that regardless of getting a 3-month/dual entry visa, one can only stay in China for one month at a time and then must leave and then return. Meaning of course that a 3-month/dual entry is not the same as a multi-entry visa at all and is actually - if one stays here long-term - only a 2 month visa and then another must be obtained.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2008-5-8 18:56:13 |Display all floors

the big question here is....

A businessperson that now goes to Hong Kong (today let's say) and intends to get a business visa back into China.

Is she/he getting one? And exactly what length? Are there exceptions? (for example with legal invitation letters, etc....)

Not that I am affected, but would really like to know, THE TRUTH, because according to different sources here in Shanghai, I've been told that anything between 10 to 30 days and that's it, which doesn't match at all with what you guys are saying here of 2-3 months and 2 entries.

Anyone with REAL first hand information?

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 4

Post time 2008-5-8 18:57:29 |Display all floors
Now days I know some thing about visa. According to Chinese government ,visa procedures remain convenient .
But to those business men who spend score time in China will bothered by the security check at the airport.The government
of China suggessted  those who do not work or reside permanently in Hong Kong to apply for a Chinese visa at the chinese embassies in their resident countries because "the recent drastic rise in the number of applicants adds to the waiting time for the processing"

[ Last edited by tonyinbeijin at 2008-5-8 06:58 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-8 19:07:52 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2008-5-8 19:08:19 |Display all floors

thanks tony....

but once again I insist......

Anybody has 1st hand experience?

All this you say, we all know, no offense. I would like to know if someone here has actually tried to obtain a visa for China in Hong Kong and what was the result?

That would really help many a business person here!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email:
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.