Author: voice_cd

Overseas Chinese rally in London, Paris [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-21 09:31:23 |Display all floors

Manufacturing consent

I was following this debate in NYTimes.com over the weekend and posted some of that on the CD-United States thread.

One draws the conclusion that a lot of the news in Western newspapers are manipulative disinformation or information passed on in such a manner that it will lead the readers, and analysts, in a certain direction or instil a certain mindset a-priori. Psych-op words like "surrogates" as "message force multipliers" and "information dominance" were brandied about.

This is what Chomsky and Herman would call "manufactured consent".  Chomsky also wrote a book about the USofA being a "failed state", based on a set of criteria eg. the unilateral use of force in settling a dispute, a "first strike" policy expounded by Australia's former neo-conservative, racist Prime Minister John Howard.

From the response, it would seem that Americans are upset about the duplicity and voiced their skepticism of the Bush administration's honesty openly in the NYTimes blog.

Does China have a media industry comparable to the West's? I think not, and one would be naive to think that a neo-conservative government would not use this powerful tool at its disposal. Hence "information dominance".

Unfortunately my posting didn't make it. Too bad, it would have been interesting.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-21 09:58:45 |Display all floors
As I have already alluded to before , we must be prepared to camp out and do this arm-wrestling with the bad elements of the west for several decades yet .  In all that we do , individually or collectively , let us be mindful of our targets .  They are not the heads-in-the-sand bigots and frustrated colonialists , they are the on-the-fence ready for the other point of view audience . We must pitch our message to these people to get them over to the side of reason and facts .  meiguo zuihou is beyond CPR , so leave him and his ilk to convulse on , dirty and wet himself , at his own good time . Cheers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-21 10:20:35 |Display all floors
I have said before and was reminded of again the western press writes editorial and calls it "the fact" and they are never ever answered by their respective governments and this is what is called "poor intelligence" which may have some couintries "on the run" while their real spy is looking for a way in the door.  This is why it was important and heroic downing of an American "spy plane" but the question still lingers about the US perhaps CIA role in the Tibet protests.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-21 10:44:38 |Display all floors
strong support the protest activities in some european cities  by oversea chinese.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-21 11:32:19 |Display all floors
i don't know the exact reason for the distortion,but i am sure that it links with political benifits. I strongly believe that Olympics should have nothing to do with politics.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-21 12:24:46 |Display all floors
So people are allowed to demonstrate against the Chinese government and all its policies?

No, what did you expect, a democracy? But then again, are most people willing to pay the price for demonstrating against the Chinese government? No to that also (and I'm not talking about police crackdowns and re-education camps here mind you.)

Now what would be the price for such an "essential" ability of life as some would like to call it to be available within the next decade?
Frankly, the complete collapse of the Chinese economy and a decades-long recession. Russia is a perfect example of this fate. Gorbachev attempted a rapid conversion of Russia from complete communism to capitalism within a span of 5 years, and look at the results. A economy that had contracted by 50% from 1990 to 1995, and a privatization process that transferred much of the profitable sectors into the hands of the Russian mafia. Note also the actions of President Boris Yeltsin, who followed American and European advice to the letter to solve the problem - and ended up being forced to resign after 8 years of economic and political failure - the man had to BOMB the Russian parliament in order to go forward with his reforms.

Are there human rights issues both in Tibet and other parts of China? Yes, plain and simple. Do most Chinese care abut such issues? Hell no. Are democracy activists being jailed illegally? Yes. Are they considered to be important by the average Chinese? No. This results from a cultural issue. Western culture highly emphasize the importance of the individual, protest and self-determination is a sacred right according to Western traditions. Chinese culture is more concerned with stability. A lot of democracy activists have been saying that China would be enjoying much more prosperity under a democracy. Yes, it will, but after about 20 years of civil war, economic recessions, and general hell on earth. The issues mentioned above sound great philosophically, but when implemented immediately will tear apart the stability that China now enjoys. It basically boils down to a value issue - are human rights issues more important than economic stability? Some will say that both are important and we can choose both, but as I have stated above, IMO, not in the case of China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-21 14:55:41 |Display all floors
Foreigners are welcomed to protest  ( legitimately )in China . They have never done it for two reasons :

1)  There has never been a reason to protest . and

2)  They would not know how to write the slogans in Chinese .  

Try it senile . You alone seems to have a million complaints .

[ Last edited by mengzhi at 2008-4-21 02:56 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.