Author: expatter

Sarkoszy and Merkel Boycott Olympics [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-5 17:00:58 |Display all floors
Satsu,

It depends really. If Bush shows up when others fail to attend, he might lose out because the Chinese won't really reward him politically. When that happens, it becomes very easy to turn this into very negative press. China should do something for Bush, like be publicly silent on missile defense, which will be set back in Europe as a result.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-4-5 19:29:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by at 2008-4-5 18:00
Satsu,

It depends really. If Bush shows up when others fail to attend, he might lose out because the Chinese won't really reward him politically. When that happens, it becomes very easy to turn  ...

Schreiber,

There will be enough who show up, don't worry.

Therefore again a German proverb:

Nichts wird so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird.

Last but not least - here I lost you.  Did I miss something?

China should do something for Bush, like be publicly silent on missile defense, which will be set back in Europe as a result.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-6 07:17:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by renegadedog9 at 2008-4-3 15:52
How many french goods are purchased in China anyway?  I would suspect that the numbers are pretty titchy.  A much more potent weapon for China would be to refuse to export cheap goods to France.  I ...

Fair points about the planes etc.  But let's remember that shops like Carrefour, while they may be 'French chains', are basically the same as every other supermarket in China and only really stock Chinese stuff, with one small shelf for 'imports' (mostly american, not french)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-6 07:19:05 |Display all floors
On the Tibet/Palestine comparison.  I think the poster is being a tad unfair.  Palestine attracts far, far, far more column inches in Western papers, mostly pro Palestinian (except the Daily Wail) than Tibet.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2008-4-6 15:01:01 |Display all floors

That may have a certain air of truth, but I am sure the French company Carrefour are not in China to make money for China.  Au Contraire!  They are here to make money for Carrefour whatever they sell, and send the benefits back to their headquarters in France.

Also, in making an illustration of some of the business France does in China, the list was just an example and not an exhaustive list of the number of businesses France has in China.  There must be hundreds if not thousands.

I just thought that if the chief representative of France could not honour China with his presence at such an important event.  Then why should the people of China feel it necessary to buy French goods or support French business when they could buy from other countries who have businesses which are fully supported by their government.  In your point about the goods sold in Carrefour then Chinese people would not be inconvenieced when buying Chinese goods from a Chinese supermarket.

I suppose really that is the message that China should send to these other countries.  Don't come to China to just grab the benefits but be an equal partner in the world and don't be so two faced just to suit the media.  France is no newcomer to Indo-China in this last century and cannot boast a clean reputation in this region.

Interestly enough if a boycott of French businesses in China were made loud enough to reach the French press then French companies would actually be the force that would insist that its leaders act in the interest of all France.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-6 16:24:23 |Display all floors
Expatter,

In most retail environments, profit after overhead is very small as a percentage of revenue. Most of the money lost will be lost by the Chinese who work there and the Chinese who supply goods to stock its shelves.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-6 19:16:07 |Display all floors
AFAIK the 'Carrefour' branches in China will be making profit for Chinese people who bought into the franchise, not French people.  Same with mcdonalds, etc.  Even the 'international schools' are all chinese-owned ultimately.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.