Views: 6842|Replies: 20

should customers leave tips in restaurants [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-3-15 20:08:50 |Display all floors
Giving tips in restaurants is necessary in Italy and in whole Europe.Each dish is priced inluding the tip .

The clients do not know that and they leave extra tips on the table.In reality the tips receiving are equal to the price of the meal.
This is a legal way for restaurant owners to become more wealthy.
Do you find it legal or illegal?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-15 21:15:53 |Display all floors

we don't have this habit in China. The price of the meal includ everything. cost of the meal. profit..... the boss decide how much he should pay his waiter/cook.......that's his business. if the restaurant can't supply nice food&service. then it looses the business.   in fact, it's the same. in some western countries. the price includes the tips. but if some customers don't know that and leave tips again. in a sense, i think it's a problem of the boss. he  should note that clearly on the menu.
糖豆.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-15 21:48:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by diamond220 at 2008-3-15 21:15
we don't have this habit in China. The price of the meal includ everything. cost of the meal. profit..... the boss decide how much he should pay his waiter/cook.......that's his business. if the re ...

I know very well our customs hehe.In italy it is different.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-15 23:22:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rosepanther at 2008-3-15 20:08
Giving tips in restaurants is necessary in Italy and in whole Europe.Each dish is priced inluding the tip .

The clients do not know that and they leave extra tips on the table.In reality th ...

They shouldn't .... But they could if they would like to give tips.....
Another day , another dollars!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-16 06:57:58 |Display all floors
If service is good, I dont mind tipping them.

However, it does happen few times in Chinese restaurants, where they should give you $3 change, but instead giving you 3 $1 coins, they gave me lots of 20cents coins, and expecting me to tip them, in that situation, I just took all my changes and walk away.
I don't know if I like you or love you, want you or need you, all I know is I love the feeling I get when I'm near you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-16 07:07:01 |Display all floors
I am a student who cannot afford to give tips or go to restraunts for that matter

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-16 07:09:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rosepanther at 2008-3-15 22:08
should customers leave tips in restaurants

Short answer, NO.

Restaurant staff should be paid a proper wage and not have to rely on tips.
Anyone who relies on their staff being tipped to earn a reasonable income, is an incompetent business operator.

If tipping is not outlawed altogether (as it should be), then at least it should be well understood by restaurant staff that they should not expect tips.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.