Views: 5228|Replies: 4

Can you analyze the grammar of the sentence [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-26 12:49:43 |Display all floors
where time is not of the essence , failure by one party to perform on time , while giving to damages for breach of contract, <does not of itself> give rise to a right of the the aggrieved party to terminate.
  My question is what " does not of itself" mean. Can english good users help me analyze the Grammar about "Does not of" ?  Thanks a lot

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-26 17:49:54 |Display all floors
Usually, the expression is "in and of itself." It's a legal way of saying "by itself" or "without anything else."

In this context it means: Where time is not "of the essence," if one party does not perform on time, that lack of timely performance does not by itself give the other party the right to terminate the contract. (Something additional is needed to allow the other party to end the contract.) But the party who has not performed may be liable for damages.

If time is "of the essence" then failure to perform on time is a breach of the contract and does allow the aggrieved party to terminate the contact.
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-27 09:42:41 |Display all floors
Thanks for great help.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-27 15:15:05 |Display all floors
wow.. so detailed explanation....
……。?……!
If nothing once, you nothing lose; for when you die, you are the same.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-27 15:31:04 |Display all floors
Well, I figured that someone named solicitor would appreciate a fairly detailed explanation. You're welcome, solicitor! :)
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.