Author: gotohell

India, China will be growth engines: Indian PM [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-3-11 11:04:51 |Display all floors
Oh, Raymond, you made it personal many threads ago.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-11 11:26:03 |Display all floors
interesting:

Then you should keep those exchanges in that thread, instead of following me and pestering me from thread to thread.  

et al:

I stand by my comments that I humbly accept criticism from people who have earned my respect.  I didn’t earn any money from my internship, but I found two mentors, that to this day, have given me something far more valuable than money.  They willingly share their time and experiences with me, unselfishly guiding, sometimes with healthy criticism, and sometimes with praise, depending on the situation.  These relationships have proven far more valuable than money and education.  The old saying, ‘It’s not what you know, but who you know”.  That is so true, at least for me!
Learn, as if your life will never end!

Live, as if your life will end today!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-11 11:44:10 |Display all floors
Actually, Raymond, you followed me, marking every disagreement with some phrase like "your lack of financial success". In fact, that has been your lone response since I requested that you suggest some material on finance, to shore up what you apparently considered a lack of knowledge. Thus far, you've never actually responded to any criticism with an argument--whether it is from me or from another--but instead dismiss the critic out of hand and refer to how much some board members like you or your claimed financial success.

You owe me an apology, quite frankly.

[ Last edited by interesting at 2008-3-11 09:32 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-11 15:43:07 |Display all floors

Reply #55 caringhk's post

It's a complex game.....

It's I SCRATCH YOUR BACK, you better SCRATCH MINE strategy!

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-11 16:32:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2008-3-11 15:43
It's a complex game.....

It's I SCRATCH YOUR BACK, you better SCRATCH MINE strategy!

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Game Master

the masseuse can Scratch my backs but i can't scratch theirs .....

a coin always has two sides
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-12 09:33:31 |Display all floors
interesting:

I don’t know how many more times, or how many different ways to explain it to you.  When you requested recommendations for finance books, I responded that I don’t believe the best way to learn finance, is to read more finance books.  I feel the best way to learn finance, is from actual real world experiences that you gain by doing deals, making mistakes, and learning from your mistakes.  There is no substitution for actual experience.  

When I visit students at my alma mater, I always tell them not to overdo the books and theories, and only be book smart.  I learned early that successful deal makers make deals not because they are book smart, or have read 1000 books on finance, or have an encyclopedic knowledge of finance theorems, and textbook solutions.  Successful deal makers make deals because of relationship building skills, people skills, problem solving skills, listening skills, and understand human nature enough to know what is important to the other party, work to give that party what they want, and when they do that enough, they get what they want.  

I also understand that many important life decisions, are not always logical, but emotional.  That’s why I told you not to waste your time writing a book about human logic.  Understand human emotion and how to leverage it to your advantage, and you will get far better results, than trying to appeal to a person, logically.  

I’m trying to steer you in the right direction, based on my experiences.  There was a time when I focused too much on being book smart.  It wasn’t until my mentors help me see what deal making is really about, before I refocused on the right things.  Remember the Roy Williams quote.  Do you want to be the smart one, or the wise one?
Learn, as if your life will never end!

Live, as if your life will end today!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-12 10:11:15 |Display all floors
Raymond,

The thing is that I'm not primarily interested in deal-making but in more back room operations like constructing securities, risk management and analysis, etc. I'm fine at making deals, discussing things with people and so on but I'm not particularly interested in doing that for a living because, ultimately, I do not feel like I've accomplished anything. That's not a criticism of deal-making as such but a simple fact about me: making deals does not make me feel accomplished, it's far too close to the sales positions I've had since I could legally work for me to enjoy it as a daily matter of business.

I think you misunderstand the book on logic. The book is aimed at college students who have to take logic courses, people who need a course in logic in order to improve their ability to create algorithms (computer science) and autodidacts that feel the need to add formal logic to their collection of knowledge. Accomplishing these things is hard and most books are either not written to be easily understood or are too patronizing for most people to understand. I know the textbook market well enough to know that there is significant unmet demand for good introductory material here even though there are already many products available.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.