Views: 7608|Replies: 10

Teaching in China for two years now - ask me anything. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-15 00:33:07 |Display all floors
Hey, everyone. I'm an American who has been working in Henan, China for just about two years now. I've given lectures at universities, taught in middle and elementary schools, and helped major private language schools develop courses and train teachers.

I'm here to make myself available to you. If you have any questions about learning English, feel free to ask. I'll be checking this thread several times a week.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-15 13:54:06 |Display all floors
Hi Peruisay,

Thanks for your post! I wonder how to write an essay to a poem? Is there any stereotype for  it?

:)
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-15 14:21:54 |Display all floors
this is the first good news i heard after the lunar new year ~ thanks .
let English be my second language and cash be full filled  in my pocket.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-21 22:40:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rainbow at 2008-2-15 13:54
Hi Peruisay,

Thanks for your post! I wonder how to write an essay to a poem? Is there any stereotype for  it?

:)
Hi, rainbow! Sorry for the late response; I've been a little busy at work.

There are a few very common standards for writing essays (we don't usually use the word "stereotype" here - that carries a different connotationin English. The word you're looking for is "format" or "template.")

I was always taught to use the MLAformat when writing essays (and most other academic papers). Opinions differ, of course.

A quick google search on "essay writing format" brings up a lot of good results; take that as your starting point, and see whether or not you find anything that helps you.

Ok. Hope that helps. Best of luck!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-27 15:07:31 |Display all floors
em.. and maybe  you can try to imitate those famous English poems first.. pay more attention to its rhythms.
……。?……!
If nothing once, you nothing lose; for when you die, you are the same.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-1 10:02:49 |Display all floors
The most important thing about poetry is not the format, but the meaning behind your words. Almost anything goes in modern western poetry.

Oddly enough, one of the most popular poetry forms taught in primary and secondary schools in the UK are Haiku, an East Asian invention. They are usually about nature and have a 5 - 7 - 5 syllable structure for the sentences.

Try going to www.poemhunter.com to read and publish your masterpieces.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-1 20:05:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bubble_uk at 2008-3-1 10:02
Oddly enough, one of the most popular poetry forms taught in primary and secondary schools in the UK are Haiku, an East Asian invention. They are usually about nature and have a 5 - 7 - 5 syllable structure for the sentences.

5 -7-5
that is the way our Chinese poems are....
oh..but I don't know it is becoming a trend..
surprised...
Yi's Fan..huge fan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.