Views: 21716|Replies: 74

American Cops [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-7 08:25:00 |Display all floors
Strip Search of Woman by Sheriff's Deputies Called Outrageous

By WKYC-TV Cleveland

CANTON, OH -- Hope Steffey's night began with a call to police for help. It ended with her face down, naked and sobbing on a jail cell floor.

Steffey says Stark County sheriff's deputies used excessive force and assaulted her during a strip search 15 months ago, according to a federal lawsuit.

Stark County Sheriff Timothy Swanson denies the allegation.

Steffey's attorney says her clothes, including her underwear and bra, were stripped from her body by at least seven male and female sheriff's deputies and jail workers. She lay face down in handcuffs at the time.

"Hope begged and pleaded with her ... assailants to stop," the lawsuit says. "There was no forcible penetration but Hope felt as if she was being raped."

The sheriff denies this was a strip search.

The sheriff's policy requires officers conducting any strip search to be of the same sex.

Her attorney, David Malik, said Steffey, 41, was never asked to voluntarily remove her clothes.
In an e-mail, Swanson said Steffey was asked to remove her clothes but refused. He said deputies took them off for her own safety.

Swanson declined to comment further, saying the details would come out in court.

Channel 3 News obtained exclusive video of Steffey's night in the Stark County jail cell. You can click the link at the bottom of the page to view it. A warning: it is difficult to watch.

Steffey declined to be interviewed for this story. But her husband, a high school educator, talked to Channel 3's Tom Meyer.

Greg Steffey said his wife is still traumatized. But the couple wants the story told to prevent it from happening to someone else.

"This could be your wife or anyone's wife," Greg Steffey said.

He said he still can't believe this happened to Hope, a 125-pound woman who, earlier that night, turned to police for help.

"You don't treat people like this," Greg Steffey said. "I don't think murderers are treated like this much less people charged with disorderly conduct."

Steffey's ordeal with the Stark County Sheriff's deputies began after her cousin called police for help.

In a 911 call, her cousin said Steffey had been assaulted by another cousin.

When a Stark County deputy arrived, he asked for Steffey's driver's license. She accidentally turned over her dead sister's license, which she said she keeps in her wallet as a memento, the lawsuit says.

The deputy refused to give the license back and told Steffey to "shut up about your dead sister," according to her attorney.

The sheriff denied that in a written response to the lawsuit.

Eventually, Steffey was arrested and taken to the Stark County Jail. She was later charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

After her clothes were removed, she was locked in a cell. To stay warm, she wrapped herself in toilet paper. She remained in the cell for six hours.

During that time, she was not allowed to use a phone or seek medical attention for injuries she suffered that night, including a cracked tooth, bulging disc and bruises, the lawsuit says.

The sheriff denies that.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/ne ... aspx?storyid=101677
stripsearch.jpg
You will reap what you sow!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-7 08:42:54 |Display all floors
I wonder if those cops served in Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-7 13:21:14 |Display all floors
Strange. I watched the video. But of course we only see part of it.
#1 - I think there was no reason for men to be involved even if a strip search was necessary.
#2 - it probably wasn't even necessary, but if it was, if two female trained officers couldn't search her with the aid of handcuffs, then they need to be re-trained
#3 - I don't know why she was stripped to begin with, but it's not worth arguing because although they paint a nice picture of her, we don't know any details of the altercation.

To be honest, upon reading she had her deceased sister's ID in her wallet, I wondered why. Saving something is one thing, but it immediately raises suspicion as to what you might be up to having a second ID on you at all times, of a person who probably looks very similar to you.

That said, of course having a second ID on you does not warrant a strip search, but it makes me wonder if she was as innocent as she is portrayed in that video.

The cops did not "hurt" her; I mean they were not shoving her or hitting her or yelling at her or anything, and if they knew they were being taped, then they had no intention of doing anything too harsh. So they must have felt it was within standard procedure. And she was screaming before they even showed any indication of taking her clothes off, they were simply reaching into her pockets and she was screaming like it was the end of the world. Personally if a cop asks me if I want to harm myself and I don't say "no", I'd expect and have no problem with him checking my pockets, why was she screaming at merely pocket checking?

And they add at the end of the video that she was not treated for her injuries. Because the video is mostly focused on her jail treatment, I had the impression for almost the whole time that the injuries occurred in jail, or by the police officers, when in fact they had (I think) occurred before she got to jail. Still, they should have been treated, but don't leave that part out and let us all think the police officers gave her bruises and a chipped tooth and hurt her back.
Plus the sheriff denies it. If she (actually her cousin) called in for being assaulted, the first thing on the scene would be to ask if she needs to go to the hospital, so if at that point she said "no, it's ok, it's just a bruise" or something, then they probably never bothered asking her again.

My summary:
The law is that men should not do strip searches. If there is a further law that says they can if needed, and there is hard evidence it was needed, then that is the only way around that.
Other than the issue of the men's involvement, we don't know enough about it to say much else.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-14 17:54:18 |Display all floors
Florida Cops Dump Paralyzed Man From Wheelchair

February 13, 2008

Four Hillsborough County sheriff's deputies have been suspended after purposely tipping a quadriplegic man out of his wheelchair at a jail, authorities said Tuesday.

Orient Road Jail surveillance footage from Jan. 29 shows veteran deputy Charlette Marshall-Jones, 44, dumping Brian Sterner out of his wheelchair and searching him on the floor after he was brought in on a warrant after a traffic violation.

Sterner, 32, said when he was taken into a booking room and told to stand up, Jones grew agitated when he told her that he could not.

"She was irked that I wasn't complying to what she was telling me to do," he told The Tampa Tribune. "It didn't register with her that she was asking me to do something I can't do."

"When I saw that one deputy laugh, that's when I started to boil."

Sterner has been in a wheelchair for 14 years after breaking his neck in a teenage wrestling match, reports CBS News'The Early Show.

The Hillsborough sheriff's office says that they weren't aware of the incident until the tape was released by the media.

Jones has been suspended without pay, and Sgt. Gary Hinson, 51, Cpl. Steven Dickey, 45 and Cpl. Decondra Williams, 36 have also been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation, sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said.

A woman who answered Jones' telephone said Jones was unavailable. A message left at a telephone number listed for a Steven Dickey in Tampa was not immediately returned Tuesday night. Listings for Hinson and Williams could not be located.

"The actions are indefensible at every level," Chief Deputy Jose Docobo said. "Based on what I saw, anything short of dismissal would be inappropriate."

"That none of the supervisors acted upon what they saw is of great concern," Docobo said. "This is not the norm at the sheriff's office."

He said the officers' actions were an aberration.

But accusations of physical abuse at the hands of police officers, often caught on videotape, are not uncommon.

In Canton, Ohio, a woman claims that that police wrongfully strip searched her.

Hope Steffey had called 911 because she said she'd been the victim of an assault but when police responded, a series of arguments and miscommunications led police to arrest her, reports The Early Show.

They later videotaped her being undressed by male and female officers while pleading with them to stop. She says when all of her clothing was removed, she was then left in a cell for six hours.

The Stark County sheriff denies Steffey's allegations.

As for Sterner, he was arrested at his Riverview home and taken to the jail Jan. 29 on a charge of fleeing and attempting to elude a police officer, according to records. He posted $2,000 bond and was released Feb 3.

A warrant for Sterner's arrest was issued after an Oct. 25 incident, in which Tampa police stopped him in Ybor City. He was stopped while driving a Mini Cooper that had been fitted with hand pedals and was cited for blocking an intersection.

"My client was stopped that night and was given a traffic citation, so how could he be fleeing and eluding?" Sterner's lawyer John Trevena said. "We're very skeptical about the basis for the charge itself."

Trevena said he hopes authorities investigate the deputies for criminal charges. He said he was "mortified" when he watched the footage.

"I couldn't believe that a detention deputy would be so callous toward an individual, whether they were disabled or not," he said.

Sterner says he wants justice.

"I want a lot of exposure to what's probably been going on for a long time."

Police are investigating a case of what appears to be shocking police brutality caught on surveillance camera: a disabled man being dumped from his wheelchair inside a jail.

[ Last edited by gotohell at 2008-2-14 09:23 PM ]
police brutality.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-14 18:16:43 |Display all floors
Sick! Sick! Sick!

Brutalising a helpless person is totally sick! It really is a disturbing to see these cops laughing as they dumped Brian Sterner out of his wheelchair!

All of the law enforcement people on the video should be locked up for doing harm to a disabled man whose only crime was a misdemeanor driving warrant. He was treat as if he killed some one.

I have never understood how the Nazi's recruited those monsters for the death camps until now. After reading about this I can see how some people can sink to low levels. It seems as if American law enforcers are treating their own citizens like they are treating the Iraqis. Instead of serving to protect US citizens they seem to relish abusing disabled people.

We can see why some Americans celebrate anytime a cop gets killed in the line of duty. Cops in the US present more danger to the average citizens then the criminals do as they are armed and dangerous. Police and Sherrifs deputies are known for their heavy handed tactics and only when something that can be refuted surfaces does anything get done about it.

Now I understand why some Americans are very reluctant to call the cops when in trouble and refer to them as pigs.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-18 14:19:06 |Display all floors
Oklahoma Sheriff Charged With Running Sex-Slave Operation From Jail

Thursday , April 17, 2008

ARAPAHO, Okla. —
The sheriff of Custer County resigned on Wednesday just as federal prosecutors filed 35 felony counts against him for allegedly running a sex-slave operation at the jail.

Mike Burgess quit the position he'd held since 1994 shortly before appearing in court on 14 counts of second-degree rape, seven counts of forcible oral sodomy and five counts of bribery by a public official.

Burgess surrendered to Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation agents and was released from custody after posting $50,000 bail. He could not be reached for comment.

Among other things, Burgess is accused of having sex with a female drug court participant who was in his custody. The crimes allegedly occurred between October 2005 and April 2007.

A federal lawsuit filed in October claims Burgess told one drug court participant he would have her sent to prison if she didn't comply with his sexual demands.

The lawsuit, filed by 12 former jail prisoners, alleges the sheriff's employees had them engage in wet T-shirt contests and offered cigarettes to those who would flash their breasts.

One prisoner alleged she became a jail trusty with more freedom after agreeing to perform a sex act on Burgess, but lost that status when she later refused.

Burgess also faces two counts each of sexual battery, rape by instrumentation and subornation of perjury. Also filed were one count each of engaging in a pattern of criminal offenses, indecent exposure and kidnapping.

Special prosecutor James Boring said Burgess could be sentenced to 467 years in prison if convicted on all 35 counts.

Custer County Commissioner J.M. Kelly said the day-to-day operations of the sheriff's department will be managed by undersheriff Kenneth Tidwell.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351618,00.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why are they so sick and perverted, taking advantage of the disadvantage?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-18 20:56:19 |Display all floors
What a load of garbage. There are tens of thousands of police officers in the United States and you want to pick out a few and label them sick and perverted? And in no way do Americans "celebrate" an officer being killed. Just a ridiculous assertion. In fact, in my travels, I have found the American police to be the most effective and least corrupt force in the world.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.