Author: gotohell

Shooting in America   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-11-10 02:31:25 |Display all floors
Armed guards keep watch over church services

Lori Davis remembers a time when the doors were always open at her church -- and not guarded.

"No one thought twice about their safety. I guess we took it for granted," said Davis.

But things have changed. In an era when terrorism threats and deadly shootings at schools and churches have made headlines, religious leaders are rethinking their security strategies. Last Saturday, a minister was fatally shot and another man wounded outside of a church in Kentucky where the men went to attend a funeral.

Such violence has houses of worship evolving from the days of walkie-talkies and video surveillance to armed guards, who keep a watchful eye over worship services and church.

"We live in a sinful world and people do crazy and irrational things," said Davis, a member of the Highview Baptist Church in Louisville, Kentucky.

Highview, like a number of other churches nationwide, has a volunteer security force consisting of at least one armed guard during any given worship service. See where some recent deadly church shootings occurred »

"I'm much more comfortable knowing they're there if needed rather than just hoping for the best," Davis said.

Highview also has a medical team on the grounds during weekend services, when thousands of people pass through its doors.

Every member of the security team, from ushers to medics and armed guards, receives some kind of training related to their post, be it conflict management or anti-terrorism tactics.

"We realized that, as the largest Baptist church in Kentucky, we'd be a little naïve to think something would never happen to us," said Highview Pastor Randy Record, who is also a police officer. "We're catching up in an era of terrorism and a church is no different."

Many Highview worshippers say they are comforted by the fact that there is a focus on security.

"There are no safe places anymore. Something could happen to me in church just as easily as at home or in the grocery store," said Sheri Mock. "But I don't worry, because I feel secure in church with the program they have."

edition.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/06/church.security/index.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-24 07:47:44 |Display all floors
Gunfire at Wash. shopping mall kills 1, wounds 1

Police on Sunday were searching for a gunman who opened fire in a packed Seattle-area shopping mall, killing one man and critically injuring another, before apparently slipping away in a crowd of panicked shoppers.

Officer Mike Murphy, a police spokesman, said the Saturday afternoon gunfire may have been gang-related. He said police anticipated identifying the shooter 'soon' and then making an arrest.

The Southcenter Mall in Tukwila was jammed with thousands of pre-Thanksgiving Day shoppers when the gunman fired multiple shots after apparently getting into an altercation with the two victims, police said. One victim died at a hospital and a second was in critical condition Saturday night.

Chauncey Williams, a soldier from Fort Lewis, said he witnessed the shooting. He said he was coming out a store when he saw two men arguing and then saw one pull out a gun and start firing.

'I've got the heebie jeebies,' Williams told The Seattle Times. 'It's like I'm back in Iraq or something.'

SWAT teams from all over Puget Sound converged on the mall, which was locked down for six hours. Store employees and customers were allowed to exit in groups. After the search was completed, Murphy said the assailant 'must have got out with the crowd.'

The assailant and the two victims were all in their late teens or early 20s. Murphy said no other people were injured.

The mall planned to reopen on schedule Sunday morning, Murphy said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-24 08:18:24 |Display all floors

Buddy35,what is your points ,why you cut-paste so many news?

Live in the movie!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-24 10:08:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by gotohell at 2008-2-5 15:21
Yes, I have travelled through about 16 states spanning Florida to California and Florida to Canada.
Of course, I was in a vehicle with quite a few others.

On tour with the travelling circus again, huh? Now... <musing> .... which act could you be?

ACT                                                                                                ODDS
Clown                                                                                            6 to 1
Strongman                                                                                   250 to 1
Bearded Lady                                                                              Evens (favorite)
Human Cannonball (shellshocked)                                       33 to 1
Performming Monkey (trained to jump through hoops)      9 to 4 (2nd favorite)
Dancing Midget                                                                           3 to 1

Ladies and gentleman, place your bets NOW!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-24 12:04:28 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-24 15:47:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by boring at 2008-11-24 12:08
[quote]Originally posted by gotohell at 2008-2-5 15:21
Yes, I have travelled through about 16 states spanning Florida to California and Florida to Canada.
Of course, I was in a vehicle with quite a few others.

On tour with the travelling circus again, huh? Now... <musing> .... which act could you be?

ACT                                                                                                ODDS
Clown                                                                                            6 to 1
Strongman                                                                                   250 to 1
Bearded Lady                                                                              Evens (favorite)
Human Cannonball (shellshocked)                                       33 to 1
Performming Monkey (trained to jump through hoops)      9 to 4 (2nd favorite)
Dancing Midget                                                                           3 to 1

Ladies and gentleman, place your bets NOW!       ... [/quote]

Firstly, I'd suggest that GTH must have failed geography. Canada isn't a state of the USA, it's a separate country.
Secondly, Boring, I have to take issue with you as you've left out the most obvious occupation for GTH, Village Idiot !

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2008-11-24 05:57 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-11-24 15:57:04 |Display all floors
The U.S. "Secretary of State" would represent California or Florida perhaps, but exclude the country that is the U.S.A., according to emu's reasoning.

Not really noted for their intelligence, the emus.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.