Author: rainbow

GG [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-12 23:03:12 |Display all floors

Reply #7 rainbow's post

your wisdom is endless
A riot is an ugly thing.... and I think it's just about time we had one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-13 19:43:23 |Display all floors
you are amazing, Rainbow!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-13 23:41:16 |Display all floors

Kiddos, you two made me blush. I'm as humble as dirt.
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-14 01:52:21 |Display all floors
Can I call Ruotong DJ 大姐 because she was here at CD longer than me? And Rainbow is my XM 小妹 because she signed up after me?
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-14 02:23:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2008-2-14 01:52
Can I call... Rainbow... my XM 小妹 because she signed up after me?

oops, guess I shouldn't have called her "brother" eh?

sorry
A riot is an ugly thing.... and I think it's just about time we had one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-14 13:31:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2008-2-14 01:52
Can I call Ruotong DJ 大姐 because she was here at CD longer than me? And Rainbow is my XM 小妹 because she signed up after me?

Freakyqi, I found you are smart enough to coin the Chinese words while enjoying this.. It is good to learn Chinese that keep you be interested in.

Please be cautious enough to apply "  大姐“ to a woman, unless you make sure she is elder than you obviously, especially to  the people from the south of China. It is similar to what you commented on PJ's post about " lady" and " girl".  Almost no women would like to look over their ages, right? Even they are really elder than you, women wouldn't like to be reminded of their ages.

However, in some areas of North China, people do address a female, no matter young or old, 大姐 for their courtesy.  I remember when I was teen, a guy stopped me and addressed me 大姐 when he asked me to him a  hand in the street. I was dumbfounded at that time and thought inwardly " Gosh, am I old enough?" while surveying him who was obviously as old enough to as my uncle. Fortunately, I realized it was a courtesy title for a woman which is popular in the north soon.

By the way, the counterpart for GG is MM, which is short for mei 1 mei 1妹妹(younger sister)/美眉(beautiful girl), it is suitable for women at any ages.

Keep on coining Chinese words, Freakyqi, and make more fun here!

[ Last edited by rainbow at 2008-2-14 03:25 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-14 13:37:15 |Display all floors
Originally posted by scarylaowei at 2008-2-14 02:23

oops, guess I shouldn't have called her "brother" eh?

sorry

SLW, it is fine to call me " brother" and I enjoy it. Haha, I don't expose my gender in my profile here.

But you were aware of this now.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.