Views: 2278|Replies: 2

Maine woman, 87, gets a sweet response(e-c)practice [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-23 00:20:37 |Display all floors
Maine woman, 87, gets a sweet response
缅因州87岁的老太太收到温馨反响

Mon Jan 21, 10:36 PM ET

JONESPORT, Maine - When Elizabeth Emerson confessed to a newspaper that her only real indulgence has been an occasional chocolate bar during her 87 years, she wasn't prepared for the sweet response that followed.

The 87-year-old Emerson was featured in a New York Times story about the impact of soaring fuel prices, generating letters from across the country, some with bars of chocolate inside.

缅因州,JONESPORT--当伊丽莎白.爱默生对一家报社承认自己在87年中唯一的嗜好便是偶尔吃一根巧克力棒时却未曾料到随后会获得人们“甜蜜”的响应。

在87岁的爱默生老人在纽约时报一篇关于飞涨油价冲击的文章中被报道后,她收到了来自全国各地的信件;其中有些信件中还有巧克力棒。

She hit the jackpot in mid-December with an assortment from Hershey Co. that was accompanied by a personal note.

"I couldn't believe it. I laughed more than anything. All that fuss over little old me," Emerson told the Bangor Daily News.

其中最大的一份礼品要属在去年十二月中旬由赫胥(Hershey Co.)巧克力公司寄来的一盒什锦巧克力。里面还有一张给她的留言。

爱默生太太告诉Bangor每日新闻报:“我不敢相信。 没什么让我笑得比这更厉害了。弄出这么一大摊子事全是为了我”

The story about how the low-income elderly endure harsh Northeast winters gave a snapshot of Emerson's life: married for a half-century, grandmother and great-grandmother to 52, former aide at a nearby nursing home, now struggling to live on a $683-a-month Social Security check.

The final line disclosed her secret: "My greatest vice is Hershey bars."

在对东西部低收入老人如何度过严冬的一篇报道有对爱默生老人的生活写照:半个世纪的婚姻、作为52个孩子的祖母或曾祖母,附近老年人之家的前助理,现在,每月靠683美元的社保维生“

故事最后一行透露了她的秘密:”我最大的不良习性是吃赫胥巧克力棒“

This weekend, Emerson displayed what remains of her chocolate collection at her kitchen table.

"This isn't even all of it. I've given boxes and boxes away," she said. "I couldn't enjoy it if I wasn't able to share."

Besides, she said, "I can only eat so much chocolate."

本周末,爱默生向人们展示了厨房桌子上那些剩下的巧克力。

她说”这还不是全部。许多盒我把都送给了别人。如果不能和别人来分享,我也不会感受乐趣“

另外,她说:”我也只能吃那么多“

[ Last edited by hly_2009 at 2008-1-23 12:23 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 06:29:48 |Display all floors

well done

"I've given boxes and boxes away," should be translated as 我把许多盒送给了别人 instead of 许多盒我把都送给了别人.

Thanks for your translation and sharing it with us.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-23 12:04:55 |Display all floors
Thank you for your reply :-)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.