Views: 5713|Replies: 17

feel the Old Man and the Sea [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-10-26 15:49:04 |Display all floors
Just finish the Old Man and the  Sea and want to write down my feeling. share with you.

The most part of the novel describes a picture of an old man fishing alone in the sea. I think that’s why the novel is titled as the Old Man and the Sea. Besides that, the old man is presented by his thoughts, words and conducts on the things from/related to the sea. This is also the reason why Ernest Hemingway gained Nobel literature prize for the Old Man and the Sea. The author focused on the old man’s three days fishing to write a book.

The old man lived on the sea, sailing and fishing for all of his life. He is old but highly respected for his technical skills and his own personality.

In his own words, he knows many tricks and has resolution about fishing. The story tells how he hooked and had a big fish, over fifteen hundred pounds and two feet longer than old man’s skiff, and how he protected the fish from sharks’ biting. He struggled against the continuously coming sharks, one or two or a pack, till only the skeleton of the fish was left till he used up all the weapons that he had and improvised, harpoon and oar with a knife tied on it and club and tiller. He was able to locate by the trade wind and the drawing of the sail without compass.

The old man truly loved the sea and saw her as a woman who gave or withheld great favors and believed that she did wild or wicked thing just because she couldn’t help them under the influence of the moon. This is the right attitude to recognize things. As the saying goes each coin has two sides. He called fish and small sea birds as his true brothers and liked turtles too. He ran the risk of death to protect the big fish from being destroyed though he knew the result. I once doubted why the old man just picked up some meat of the fish so that he could still gain some money. But now, I know the answer. Because of his love, he didn’t complain the bird he was talking to when he ignored the fish and got fell and hurt by the sudden pull.  

How could he face and deal with difficulties and endure suffering?
All the time he is confident and cheerful and undefeated. He bore lot of sayings about masculine personality in mind. A man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated. He had other wonderful saying too. Once you borrow, then you beg. Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is. These are the yardstick he used to measure his behavior. He said so and then he did so.
He had the way to drive loneness and comfort himself. Talking to himself and the fish and thinking about his favorite baseball match. He encouraged himself by reminding and comparing with his favorite player. He thinks people are lucky born because they don’t have to try to kill the sun, the moon and stars, and living on the sea is enough.

The old man was a good person. He loved the boy and other people in his town. He taught the boy to fish since he was five and allow him to leave when he’s in hard days without fish. When the old man was gifted silverware and beer by the shop owner he thought he had to give belly meat of big fish back. When he was in danger he remembered that the boy and old fishermen and others were worrying about him. The relationship between the old man and the boy is quit like father and son. They truly loved each other. The old man woke the boy every morning by holding his one foot till he came awake and the boy served the old man in some way when they couldn’t fish together. ‘You’ll not fish without eating when I’m alive.’ The boy said to the old man. The boy sadly cried when he saw the old man’s badly hurt hands and he got hot coffee and sat by the old man waiting for him waking.

The end of the book is not that sad as the old man and the boy were planning to fish together again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-26 15:53:40 |Display all floors

here is a picture I didn't attach.

I think the picture is kind of suitable to the novel.
神话.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-27 12:05:13 |Display all floors
Because you have been so kind to share your thoughts on this short but great book,  here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/224c5g

(spend this weekend enjoying the thousands of links inside)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-27 15:06:02 |Display all floors

good

i think i should read it now.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-27 15:07:08 |Display all floors
good ,very goood

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-28 01:34:49 |Display all floors

One of these days MarkWu...

... you need to generate a thread of your own of all the wonderful links that you have.  You are a "one-man web library"!
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-28 14:22:55 |Display all floors
thank you, tradervic!  i thought i could hide myself here but you found me out.

When my father was in the hospital, i scraped to buy him Warrior of the Light by Paulo Coelho.

And here it is, for your enjoyment:

http://www.warriorofthelight.com/engl/index.html

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.