Views: 4981|Replies: 6

What is the difference between " praise" and " compliment" in usage? TKS. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-3-1 14:17:56 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-1 14:44:29 |Display all floors

FYR: the difference between " praise" and " compliment"

They are only difference on meaning.
"raise", n&vt,  赞美,歌颂,赞扬之意,属褒义词。
" compliment" ,n&vt, 有赞美的话;恭维;敬意的意思。该词带有贬义。
When you want to use them, you should think about the context.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-3 18:34:37 |Display all floors

try to answer

I have asked some Australian people the same question. They told me that praise is normally used by the person in higher position, eg. your supervisor or your boss. Compliment is usually used by your friends or peers. Eg, if I say, "Flora, you look great today." This is compliment. If your boss says, " You've done tremendous work this year." That's praise. However, if you look up in dictionaries, there's no significant difference between them. So I don't know whether people in different areas use them differently.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-3 19:52:00 |Display all floors

thank you so much

i went to my english-english dictionary for them but found no anwer. i got it a little now.
thank you .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-4 07:41:48 |Display all floors

praise and compliment

A compliment is a private matter. You directly compliment somebody for something he or she has done, and it stays between the two of you. With praise, a third party is involved, either because you are talking to A praising the work of B, or because you are complimenting B in front of A.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-4 09:38:14 |Display all floors

all of you are excellent!!!i have learned a lot!marvellous

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-4 13:28:26 |Display all floors

thank you all

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.