Views: 17726|Replies: 35

some opinions on writing in english language [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-10-9 00:04:20 |Display all floors
[i]ps: This is an little article I wrote two years ago. Please give your comments here either on the language of this article or on the content thereof. Thanks[ /i]

It seems that the most difficult language skill for an ESL student is the writing skill. Here I would like to share some of my ideas on how to practice.

At first, you need to think in English, which means to forget that you are a Chinese (even though you are), then try to write it down. Learn to think like a native from an English speaking country can be the best way to study that language for those who look english as a second language.

Next, do not stop reading. Making Reading one of your hobbies can be a great help  since those articles and books make you see the way in which those native speakers think and express. But if you are just starting your journey of studying english. The recommendation should be given of spending more of your spare time on reading than writing.

Thirdly, I find that to speak with and listen to those natives can also be a help, for the written english is more like the spoken one in syntax than what you thought it should have been. That means the most foundamental part of writing could be to write down what you wish to speak.

Finally, Those quotes and poets are great sentences, but bear in mind while you use them that much of them were composed in some abnormal ways of sentence structure, which can be different from those we run into each day.  If becoming a newspaper editor or a professional writer is not your dream, it is not necessarily appropriate to imitate the ways those poets and authors do.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-9 09:52:35 |Display all floors
Finally plus one, read the works of copywriters and ad-men; read words in ads in english; find glossy magazines in english and read the words in their ads; read jokes in english; read book summaries in english.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-10 12:26:11 |Display all floors
Yes, literature, literature and literature.

I don't hesitate to cast my vote for it with two thumbs up.

As a matter of fact, I have posted a few things to share my own experience of learning English in two threads, in which I urged others to give the English Novels a chance and to dive themselves into the raging sea of English novels, they will survive and thrive, and they will find the sea peace and calm, gentle and tender, the intimacy between them and the sea will grow stronger and stronger.

Unfortunately, the responses were few and far between, very discouraging ... sigh, feeling that my throat was drying up and my voice was fading away ...

I hated it to say, that was the way my friends and classmates at Tsinghua were learning English. Not because we are smart, but because we were guided in the right direction. Sometimes, I can not bear to see the way my fellow Chinese students learning English, as if they had been stuck in the dark tunnel year after year and not able to see the light at the end of it.

Here are the links of the two thread.

Easy Time 休闲英语» What are your favorite audio books (有声读物或书籍)?
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... &extra=page%3D1

English Square 英语广场» Let's share experience of learning
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... &extra=page%3D2

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-10 15:13:57 |Display all floors

Thank you all for your kind suggestion

To be frank, I try to learn English for years but I can't speak or write freely. I believe the problem is  that I didn't  find the right way.  I want to make a living by doing some kind of jobs such as translating in two years. At present, I spend all my time to study Enlish. I don't have a chance to go to school so I need kind advices about it. Many thanks again. I'll do as you suggest. Read, learn and write. And hope to get more help.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-11 10:16:16 |Display all floors
Wherever there is education, there is the study of literature.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-15 10:14:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by markwu at 2007-10-9 09:52
Finally plus one, read the works of copywriters and ad-men; read words in ads in english; find glossy magazines in english and read the words in their ads; read jokes in english; read book summarie ...

very brilliand idea !  Markwu , sometimes the english in ads is very GOOD english.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-15 10:23:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sarayang at 2007-10-10 15:13
To be frank, I try to learn English for years but I can't speak or write freely. I believe the problem is  that I didn't  find the right way.  I want to make a living by doing some kind of jobs suc ...

oh, you surely can succeed in learning english or any other work, since I strongly believe that schooling is not a very important element in one's EDUCATION.  Sometimes school can even spoil it !

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.