Author: helong

When will the Chinese language replace the English language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-14 11:10:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2007-9-14 10:51
LC,

Many linguists outside of China consider them to be different languages. That they share a root doesn't matter; the language we know as Spanish was a dialect Vulgar Latin until sometime in t ...

Dear,

The example you have does not suit here. For the comparison of Cantonese and Mandarin. The difference between Cantonese and Mandarin is on pronouciation and some slangs. The grammar stracture and the written forms of Cantonese and Mandarin are basically the same.the written forms, from what I have known (I am a native Cantonese speaker and a half-native Mandarin speaker) are 95% the same, if not 100%, same characters, same struture.

From what I understand, many languages in Europe share the same root-Latin, but most of them have developed into different languages. For example, Spanish (Which I am learning now, still quite inarticulate in it) and Italian and  Portuguese are very very close, however their grammar structures, characters, pronouciations are quite similar, yet very different. The differentce of Spanish and Italian is NOT the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin, at least from what i have known.

And for the linguists outside of China, do they speak cantonese and mandarin ?? For if they do not, their arguments are not that valid.

I was fortuante that I had read a lot of books about china published outside of China. I was in a joint courses with some visiting American students in a programe tha last for 6 months, During that period of time, I could share the library provided by the program organizers. Most of the books I had read were very interesing and enlightening. but some of them, are rather shallow and childish. I am not sure whether those books you read written by the linguists outside of China belong to the latter.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-14 11:22:36 |Display all floors
LC,

Actually, the fact that Cantonese and Mandarin are mutually unintelligible is sufficient to make them different languages. The general prescription is that if a speaker of one prospective language cannot, without training, perform "at ceiling" in the other, then the two prospective languages are in fact different languages. A dialect relationship between two different linguist systems holds only if a native speaker of one dialect is mutually intelligible to a native speaker of the other. That doesn't actually hold for Cantonese. The purpose of the preceding discussion was to lay out that roots do not imply membership into the language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-14 11:28:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2007-9-14 11:22
LC,

Actually, the fact that Cantonese and Mandarin are mutually unintelligible is sufficient to make them different languages. The general prescription is that if a speaker of one prospective la ...

Dear,

"Actually, the fact that Cantonese and Mandarin are mutually unintelligible is sufficient to make them different languages."

I can not agree more on this. But let me give you an example. My roomie, who is a native Beijing-er, can now understand cantonese after watching several HK TV series  which helps her  figure out the equivalent pronounciation of Cantonese to Mandarin . Now everytime I talk on the phone in Cantonese, she can basically understand what I mean. She just have trouble pronouncing it. It is a bad thing for me though coz now i can hardly have any privacy when I talk in Cantonese

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-15 17:59:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by helong at 2007-9-5 04:50
When will the Chinese language become more widely used in international circles?
When will more people around the world learn to speak Chinese as an international language?
What is the future of  ...

If china is expanding through commerce worldwide
It doesn't mean that everybody has to speak their language
I can understand you love your country very much but why those questions?
Just because is your wishes?
You dreamed?
Somebody told you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-15 18:02:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by helong at 2007-9-5 14:14
The Chinese government is setting up hundreds of Confucius institutes around the world,  the target is to have 100 million people around the world learning Chinese as a foreign language by 2010.
It is quite possible that there will be 1 billion people around the world learning Chinese as a foreign language by 2025.

By that time,  Chinese travellers will be able to find jobs teaching Chinese to students all around the world.
There will be agreat demand for Chinese language teachers all over the world,   and young Chinese travelling will be able to work as Chinese language teachers everywhere from Brazil to France to Nigeria.

By that time,  nobody will want to learn English anymore,   and nobody will be able to find jobs teaching English in China,  because no Chinese persons will need to learn English anymore.

One day,   young Chinese travellers will find jobs teaching Chinese to American kids in the United States,  because the Chinese language will have overtaken the English language as the most important international language around the  ...

Do you predict the future?

Again or

You dreamed?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-15 18:28:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by helong at 2007-9-5 14:31

Within 30 years,  most international conferences will be conducted in the Chinese language,  instead of the English language.

Within 30 years,  most international trade and business will be performed in the Chinese language,  instead of the English language...

If a conference is held between investors from Germany with dealers of Argentina. It has to be in chinese?

If there is a trading show in Las Vegas (USA) attending many buyers from Europe and  LatinAmerica, it should be in chinese language too?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-15 18:49:55 |Display all floors
Leave the world, the business and the people use the language that allow they to make more easy the deals  in the ideal and already established  way.

To talk in that way could be interpretated for some people as a wish of language expansionism in a weird and crazy way. Better respect other cultures, countries and mostly languages

As another poster said, learning chinese language (mandarin) is a reality, many people are learning but mostly for business matters, it’s my case now.

We can not impose or denied to learn our future children the language that we think is the best just from personal crazy ideas.

The world is open, wide and wonderful and the mix of languages make it more attractive.

I wish you have more positive dreams. Good luck to you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.