Author: helong

When will the Chinese language replace the English language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-8-20 09:24:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ben_uk at 2008-7-30 19:21
Even though China's getting stronger, it's unlikely that Mandarin will ever replace English as the global language.

Around one hundred years ago, French was the language of cultured people and G ...

I have been to Brazil.

And I used to have a Brazilian girlfriend.

I also speak Portuguese with a Brazilian accent,   instead of speaking Portuguese with the Portugal accent.    The Brazil accent is a lot clearer and easier to understand than the Portugal accent.

A lot of Brazilian businessmen and lawyers are now learning to speak Chinese.

China is now Brazil's fastest expanding export market.

And since most Korean businessmen are now learning to speak Chinese also,   it would be most logical for the Brazilian and the Korean businessmen to talk to each other in Chinese!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-28 20:43:01 |Display all floors

Chinese will replace English

Why Chinese will replace English in the future?
Chapter 1    3500Hanzi is Everything
There are lots and lots words for English language. This is a fatal disadvantage for English, however, a distinct advantage for Chinese. So far, English words have breached the red line of 1 million. The number 1,000,000 is a very terrible number. It means that you cannot predominate these words in your lifetime. This is unfortunate news for people who are learning English, however, a good news for people who are learning Chinese from everywhere of the world.
For Chinese, you only need to learn 3500Hanzi (Chinese Characters), so that you can read any informations, including everyday and professional books. You don’t spend time to learn so-called professional Hanzi, because you have learned them in your primary and middle school stages. Generally speaking, an undergraduate only needs to know about 4500 Hanzi in China. That’s enough for them. For next their lifetime, they can read any kinds of professional books and works. But, for English, you have to spend much time in learning lots of kinds of professional English words. This is a very terrible thing for Global people.
According to New York Time, more than 10 thousand new words are generated every year. After 30 years or 50 years, there will be no a distinct phenomenon. Then after 300 years or 500 years, there will be a distinct phenomenon. And after 3000 years or 5000 years, what we will see? At that time, people will be restricted to learn new informations and knowledges by those lots and lots professional and new words. They know all informations and knowedges just likes a cup of water in the sea. So, people will have to use Chinese, because Hanzi doesn’t produce this problem, and today it is more than 5000 years old. When you read this place, you may want to learn Chinese. Do it, now! You are Right!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-29 14:56:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by colineliu at 2009-6-28 20:43
Why Chinese will replace English in the future?
Chapter 1    3500Hanzi is Everything
There are lots and lots words for English language. This is a fatal disadvantage for English, however, a distinct advantage for Chinese. So far, English words have breached the red line of 1 million. The number 1,000,000 is a very terrible number. It means that you cannot predominate these words in your lifetime. This is unfortunate news for people who are learning English, however, a good news for people who are learning Chinese from everywhere of the world.
For Chinese, you only need to learn 3500Hanzi (Chinese Characters), so that you can read any informations, including everyday and professional books. You don’t spend time to learn so-called professional Hanzi, because you have learned them in your primary and middle school stages. Generally speaking, an undergraduate only needs to know about 4500 Hanzi in China. That’s enough for them. For next their lifetime, they can read any kinds of professional books and works. But, for English, you have to spend much time in learning lots of kinds of professional English words. This is a very terrible thing for Global people.
According to New York Time, more than 10 thousand new words are generated every year. After 30 years or 50 years, there will be no a distinct phenomenon. Then after 300 years or 500 years, there will be a distinct phenomenon. And after 3000 years or 5000 years, what we will see? At that time, people will be restricted to learn new informations and knowledges by those lots and lots professional and new words. They know all informations and knowedges just likes a cup of water in the sea. So, people will have to use Chinese, because Hanzi doesn’t produce this problem, and today it is more than 5000 years old. When you read this place, you may want to learn Chinese. Do it, now! You are Right!

Hanzi are comparable to the Latin Alphabet, of which there are but 26 letters.  While a few thousand characters might be enough to read and write in Chinese, each character has several meanings and in many cases several prounucations in any one dialect.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-29 15:06:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2007-9-22 10:52
Don't look at it from a European perspective. All of Europe's cultures derive either from old Greece or Rome or from both. This is entirely different in Asia. Asia is the cradle of dozens of high civilizations and most are very different from each other although the roots can often be traced back to ancient India or China or again both. Written languages/scripts in East Asia don't have much in common.

Just because all European languages derive from the same source does not mean that the cultures derive from the same source.  To not understand the differences it to be ignorant of a rather large well documented part of the world.

Secondly trying to denote Asia as having more languages is a bit false as Asia is that much bigger in area and in population historically and currently.  Further more the divide between Europe and Asia is much looser than between East and South Asia.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-29 15:15:58 |Display all floors

Reply #111 colineliu's post

You won't win this one because so many speak English around the world. Yes, I know Chinese is the most widely spoken language but only because of sheer population mass. If we can't read it, how ca we learn it is a thought that comes to mind, specially for our English speaking little ones. Give the dream up, Chinas soft pwoer isn't that strong and may never be, but it IS NOT Chinas manifest destiny to rule the world, and when she starts to push, she'll get pushed back, despite my love for the place and that of many here. China and some folks here should start living in the real world!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-29 15:49:35 |Display all floors
Chinese is not as widely spoken as claimed. Many people I meet in China cannot speak putonghua, plain and simple. They try, but they don't have the vocab. So by Chinese do people mean every dialect or just standard putonghua. Will n and l changes be allowed? What about h and f? Can you clip sh, ch and zh?

China has too many languages to take over English, along with the fact that so many already know English. Along with the fact that many in the world are tone deaf. Also the alphabet issue is too difficult to solve. I have yet to see software that uses a Chinese alphabet to function. Anyone know of one?

I personally enjoy Chinese, it was my major in university. I can speak pretty well with people (sometimes they need to simplify their speech) or they just can't speak putonghua. I am not opposed to this on a personal level. It is just impractical.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-6-29 16:14:06 |Display all floors

Just because all European languages derive from the same source does not mean that the cultures derive from the same source.  To not understand the differences it to be ignorant of a rather large well documented part of the world.

Language is the strongest link of any culture. To not understand this is ignorant.

Secondly trying to denote Asia as having more languages is a bit false as Asia is that much bigger in area and in population historically and currently.  Further more the divide between Europe and Asia is much looser than between East and South Asia.

A short overview gave me a figure of more than 1,200 languages (excl. dialects) in Asia. How big is Asia's population? Estimates are approx. 4,2 billion

Europe  - population approx. 750 million,  - languages, not sure how many but let's say 50 (excl. Indo European languages that are not spoken in Europe)

Asia's population is <6 x Europe's but there are 24 times more languages.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.