Author: helong

When will the Chinese language replace the English language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-7-30 19:21:49 |Display all floors
Even though China's getting stronger, it's unlikely that Mandarin will ever replace English as the global language.

Around one hundred years ago, French was the language of cultured people and German was the language of science. Then came the mighty, English-speaking USA economy which blew them both away. People all over the world started to learn English instead.

So, now people speak English because of the USA, and the USA speaks English because of Britain. But today, it doesn't belong to either. It's not nationalistic. It's not the language of imperialistic western powers. It's the language of the world.

It makes sense to have one language like this. If a businessman from Korea speaks to one from Brazil, are they going to spend years learning Portuguese and Korean? No - they've already learnt English and that's fine.

Even though China's getting stronger, and even though more people are learning it, too many people have already invested too much time in learning English. Countries have spent too much time developing English language schools. The only people who will be bothered to learn Mandarin will be those who spend a lot of time in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-31 18:52:12 |Display all floors
it is too far to do that!!!but maybe it will be come ture one day!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-7-31 21:35:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by helong at 2007-9-5 04:50
When will the Chinese language become more widely used in international circles?
When will more people around the world learn to speak Chinese as an international language?
What is the future of  ...

you should have a futher sight on the languages
i think the future of topic is not who replaces who, instesd of that , they wil come into one language
one world , one language, one dream

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-2 16:04:26 |Display all floors

Reply #105 cksins's post

Nice idea but the world isn't one constant Olympics ya know! Too many narrow national interests at play to allow for the one world, etc etc concept.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-4 00:30:51 |Display all floors

A little off topic

There was a europeon a while back who said this about language. It was very amusing to me.

"When I wish to talk about money I speak in English, When I wish to talk to my Lover I speak in French, When I wish to
speak to God I speak in spanish, and when I wish to speak to my Horse or Mule I speak in German."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-4 00:59:29 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-8-6 21:23:48 |Display all floors
hehe well i never really understood that part of the quote but I was still amused by the saying.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.