Author: helong

When will the Chinese language replace the English language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-21 13:50:52 |Display all floors

Reply #78 caringhk's post

Ah! The "Confucious says" game!

isn't it, my dear old Chap, Mr.CaringHK.

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Game Master
God of Happiness

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-21 14:28:57 |Display all floors

chinese will cerntainly be more and more widely used

especially in east asia
but it will not replace english in the foreseeable future
what the chinese people should do is to make more efforts to spread the language and encourage more people to speak it
like the french people ,we chinese should speak our own language if possible
i see most chinese will speak the foreign language if they can ,it's not good for the chinese language
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-9-21 15:03:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by joezhang at 2007-9-21 11:47
We know that Chinese characters are the hardest one all over the world.Most Chinese people could not say the same language,let alone those foreigners.I admit that China has her long history and bri ...

Joezhang,

In my opinion,there should take a language,such as English or Latin,as the world's language,but it ia not our Chinese,because the principle to select the general language of the world must be simple and easy to be understanded.
    Almost 50 years ago,there are some one suggest that the character of China should be changed into phonetic alphabet.I think it is the final way for Chinese language to go.And I bilieve that our charecter will be writed in alhabet with the rapid development of information society.In a word,we should learn to adjust to the e developing condition,not the ohther.

In the early years of the PRC there was indeed a plan to get rid of Chinese characters and implement  the Latin alphabet. Fortunately this plan was cancelled and it was decided to introduce the simplyfied Chinese script. The written characters certainly are not easy to learn but they are a strong part of Chinese cultural heritage.

When the French colonialists conquered Indochina they introduced a new written language for Vietnam based on Latin script and forced the Vietnamese to use it and to abandon the Chinese characters that were in use over there for centuries. I believe that Vietnam has lost a strong part of her culture because of this change. If the PRC would have introduced Latin script then Taiwan and Hongkong would be the only parts of China where the old script is still in use. On top of this Japan, a foreign country would be the preserver of Chinese script. It is unthinkable in Japan to change the sript into Latin. Even Hiragana and Katakana are only supplements to Chinese characters.

Be proud of your Chinese script and well preserve it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-22 07:43:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2007-9-21 09:54
Yeah, Ghost, I think you do fine with English.

English is easy in that it's a robust language, there are some people on this forum who botch it very badly but I can still understand them perfect ...

Being able to speak English poorly, and still be understood, is probably English's gratest assets. On the other hand, I find that my attempts to speak Japanese and Chinese poorly don't get me far at all. Likewise, I've been told that French is a language that really can't be spoken with poor grammar.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chasity

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-22 07:46:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2007-9-21 15:03

Joezhang,

In my opinion,there should take a language,such as English or Latin,as the world's language,but it ia not our Chinese,because the principle to select the general language of ...

Aside from Singapore, Japan is the only country that uses the Chinese script. On the Japanese side, I think that is a cultural characteristic that gives them an affinity to China. It's a pity that more Chinese can't appreciate this cultural commonality and use it as a basis to improve relations with their neighbour.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chasity

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-9-22 09:49:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tripitaka at 2007-9-22 07:46

Aside from Singapore, Japan is the only country that uses the Chinese script. On the Japanese side, I think that is a cultural characteristic that gives them an affinity to China. It's a pity t ...

Tripitaka,

Sorry, I forgot about Singapore. Even in Thailand it is quite common to find Chinese script at shops all over the country. The reason is that almost 40% of Thais are of Chinese origin (Guandong, Guangxi, Yunnan). Thai-Chinese just changed their names into Thai. Still they can easily be recognized because of their long names.

An interesting story is Korea. Until the end of the 19th century Korean language was entirely written in Chinese characters (Han-ja). The Japanese forced their own language on the people of Korea and only Japanese was permitted as official language until 1945.

After the Korean war N-Korea decided to abolish Chinese script and only  Hangul was permitted as the official written script. They declared this a matter of patriotism and prohibited any use of Chinese characters. Because S-Korea did not want to be unpatriotic they followed the bad N-Korean example. Still one can find Chinese script in all Korean names in the RoK.

Only recently  (several years ago) the government of the RoK started to promote Chinese as foreign language again in all schools over the country (students have a choice between English or Chinese as first foreign language). Since most companies in Korea demand from their employees good knowledge of Chinese, most students now take Chinese as first frgn. language.

Last but not least Japan. I agree, no other country in Asia has stronger historical bonds to China. Not only the script, but classical architecture of temples and shrines, classical Japanese art and music, Buddhism etc., everything has been copied from China. Walking around in Kyoto or Nara always gives me the feeling of being in ancient China. In spite of many differences between Japan and China they could easily find common ground for closer cooperation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-22 10:08:59 |Display all floors
Satsu,

The problem I have with this analysis is that it assumes that the content of their museums is key in determining their cooperation. If this had ever been the case, neither the Cold War nor World War II would have never started in the first place. It is actually more common for people with close but distinct cultural identities to fight over them rather than cooperate through them; you see this on fine display when Koreans and Japanese become annoyed with China's talk about being the source of their cultures.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.