Author: wanzheli

Made in China to Made by China ! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-9-13 10:16:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2007-9-12 09:28
BMW and Mercedes are hauling the German importer of cars made by three Chinese manufacturers to court over design piracy.
The similarities of their cars to existing German sedans are evident down ...

In China, I’ve seem some Chinese brand that is copy of BMW. Same blue and white squares, but it is in a rectangle instead of a circle. There is also a knock off of Mercedes. It will be very difficult for Chinese brands to build credibility, let alone be allowed to sell in other countries, while that kind of piracy continues.

There might also be a problem of the Chinese companies being sued once they try to operate in other countries. Although Chinese courts might protect the company, the foreign courts will not, and could conceivably award damages based upon the pirated brand and technology that was used to build the company in the first place. This would be a financial cost the company probably could not bear as it tried to expand.

So in the long run, expanding to other countries might be difficult, and without international sales to give credibility, there might be some problem building a strong image in China as well. It will just force people to ask the question: “ If the car is so good, why can’t it compete in an international environment?”

So all in all, I’d say it would be a wise move to create unique brands, and cease any kind of technology theft. After that, it would be a matter of building a quality product and having a very good communication strategy to sell the brand. I can’t see this happening unless Chinese courts enforce IP laws, and a domestic communications industry develops.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-13 12:36:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tikoli at 2007-9-13 10:16

In China, I’ve seem some Chinese brand that is copy of BMW. Same blue and white squares, but it is in a rectangle instead of a circle. There is also a knock off of Mercedes. It will be very di ...

the brand you mentioned is Geely ,i think ,it does have a similar brand image as BMW,but just similar at most ,maybe the designer of this iamge at Geely company intended to copy BMW or at least wanted to learn from it , it 's normal ,the weak always want to learn from the example set by the strong

i also remember two american tyre companies: goodyear and goodrich ,the pronunciations of the two brands are so similar ,but so what ? any violation of the IP law ? NO!
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-13 12:56:57 |Display all floors

Public Domain

You are making the assumption that the Chinese manufacturers are doing something wrong, by using loaded words such as "piracy."

Even assuming that IP is to be respected (I argue that in many instances it should not), you'd first need to have some protectible property, and the first maker has to have taken the procedural steps (e.g., filing for registrations or patents) in order to perfect the rights so that they are in fact protectible.  If they did not, then the design features are indeed in the public domain, and any competitor is free to use or derive therefrom.  

The resulting price competition greatly benefits the consumers, who outnumber the so called IP holders and/or even their employees.  So a public policy allowing replication of features that are in the public domain, would indeed be reasonable and beneficial.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-13 13:28:37 |Display all floors
Uh... Wan, those are the names of the inventor of vulcanized rubber and the founder of a company, respectively.

Tong,

That's only true when the price competition doesn't undercut research and development. Once that happens, relative quality falls and consumers get the short end of the stick.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-13 14:15:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wanzheli at 2007-9-13 12:36

the brand you mentioned is Geely ,i think ,it does have a similar brand image as BMW,but just similar at most ,maybe the designer of this iamge at Geely company intended to copy BMW or at least ...

I appreciate that the company wants to learn, and in many respects BMW can be flattered that it is being copied. That said, the logo is a violation of the law. There is something called "the tort of passing off", which applies to a business that gains benefit from closely associating itself with another business. Although you might not have this law in China, if is strongly enfroced in other countries.

Aside from the fact there will be legal action if it tries to trade in a western country where BMW operates, it is bad for the brand's credibility. Poor knock off never have much credibility. We used to have the same thing in Australia where winemakers used to call shiraz "hermitage" after a region in France where the grape is famous. In the early 90s, France succeeded in having Australians denied from using France regions on Austraian wine bottles. Although some Australian winemakers complained, the end consequence was that the adaptable winemakers build their own brands and there was a 10-fold increase in wine exports to the world over the following ten years.

Any brand that copies another brand's image, rather than build its own, really has no future.
The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-9-14 13:09:39 |Display all floors

we have realized the importance of innovation

Originally posted by seneca at 2007-9-14 10:31
As soon as the pirates and copyists dominate the market - in China they already do! - there is going to be no competition any more, and then the prices will shoot up.

it's a good point and warning ,the bad consequence of piracy and copying is well recognized by the government and public
the government has taken substantial actions to encourage competition such as the recent adoption of the first chinese anti-monopoly law ,it also applies to the automotive industry
not only at impelmentation level ,but at philosophical level ,the country has recognized competition and innovation ,for instance ,the former president JiangZe min said ,innovation is the soul of a nation's progress ,it's the thoughts of the whole country ,not mrely his

in university, professors and students discuss innovation so often that i am almost get tired of hearing it :)

when i took an internship in shanghai consulting company ,they were also organizing a summit on automotive innovation ,i was part of the team ,so i know how eager the chinese car companies want to improve and especially become innovative
so though we are not doing a perfect job ,we are truly progressing continuously !
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-9 00:08:42 |Display all floors
i think this topic very good ,now ,we can see a lot of goods printed made in china ,not made by china
those is two absoluately concepts
the first  means  just made in china ,you can use the forigner techology and people
the second means  all parts are made by chinese alone ,

i think  the day will come in the future !

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.