Author: wanzheli

Chinese should respect their mother tongue first ! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-20 23:50:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wanzheli at 2007-8-19 22:44

the singaporians are trying to restore the Chinese ,they have realized how valuable their mother tongue was to them
i do want see what happened in singapore repeats itself again ,even thouth th ...

Certainly Citizens and politicians of Singapore can decide what they want for their nation...including making  Mandarin their national language.

Excerpt from site:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore

The national language of Singapore is Malay for historical reasons, and it is used in the national anthem, "Majulah Singapura". The official languages are English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil. English has been promoted as the country's language of administration since independence, and it is spoken by the majority of the population, especially the young. Public signs and official publications are in English, although there are usually translated versions in the other official languages.

The English used is primarily British English, with some American English influences. The local colloquial dialect of English is Singlish, which has many creole-like characteristics, having incorporated vocabulary and grammar from various Chinese dialects, Malay, and Indian languages. Singlish is spoken commonly on the streets, but the government frowns upon its use in official contexts. The use of English became widespread in Singapore after it was implemented as a first language medium in the education system, and English is the most common language in Singaporean literature.

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-21 07:21:53 |Display all floors

re #1

Chinese and English can coexist in your mind ...

I believe that the most effective way to learn a foreign language is to accept it as a language, rather than a tool or something like that. learning English by translating it to Chinese word by word, or vice verse is a bad habit. When I run into a new word, I would look it up in the English dictionary, explaining it in a few simpler words, mapping the meaning of it to a real story, a scene, a picture ,,, for example, when you hear an red apple, you may sense  the color, smell, shape, taste of it, what is the point to translate it into a Chinese character.

The good thing is that My appreciation and respect to my mother tongue, Chinese, is growing as I am learning English. General speaking, my interesting in language and communication is going up, and my Chinese is getting better.

That is a win-win thing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-29 10:54:21 |Display all floors

too much time in english

[quote]Originally posted by changzhou007 at 2007-8-21 07:21
Chinese and English can coexist in your mind ...

the chinese students usually spend too much time in english studies
so time in chinese is reduced substantially ,and you can see how poorly many students write
during my work ,i call a lot of people from hong kong ,singapore and malaysia ,they can speak good ,but their writing is so so ,they keep a good balance ,but is it the case with the chinese ?
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-30 00:43:53 |Display all floors

Chinese should respect their mother tongue first

personally I've respected the tongue of a Chinese mother on more than one occasion

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.