Author: wanzheli

Chinese should respect their mother tongue first ! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-19 14:51:25 |Display all floors

Badly

Originally posted by apolonious at 2007-8-19 06:46

If these chinese stuents spend so much time studying english, why do they speak it so badly? ...

The Chinese students speak perfect English

it is the English and Australians and US people who are all speaking it wrongly!

"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 14:56:54 |Display all floors

Foreigners learning Chinese

Is an interesting point

I experience the "he should learn Chinese before coming to China and annoying me in my shop" attitude

and the

"don't encourage the foreigner to learn Chinese, it will be much harder for us to make jokes about him and control him if he can speak to other Chinese people" attitude

on balance it is the

"Don't tell him what that word means" attitude that seems to dominate in my Chinese world

but that just maybe my world

everyone around me is after me for my English speaking ability - helping them

if I could speak Chinese I would be off chatting up all those pretty girls in Chengdu and too busy to help them

QED
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 16:05:05 |Display all floors
[quote]Originally posted by fatdragon at 2007-8-19 14:34

You need move to Beijing,TianJin,Northen China like Da Lian,
Those cities language more close to Mandarian wich u may find easier to understand..:)
***always to be yourself***

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 20:03:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by shelleybelly at 2007-8-19 16:05

Those cities language more close to Mandarian wich u may find easier ...

But if I spoke ''Mandarin'' Chinese then my wife would not understand me. :)

And then I could tell her it was time she learned Chinese.  
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 21:12:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wanzheli at 2007-8-18 22:41
last week I read a news on Sohu wich is one of the most popular websites in China ,saying before learning English ,the Chinese people should respect their mother language first .with so many people ...

Terrible trend?
Do you know how many people in the world is studying different languages for years and years and they don’t lose their mother tongue?

Do you know the advantages the person has  to speak more languages?
Do you know that we are living a new world where the distances in communications is everytime more shorter and the benefits that create to be open to more opportunities?
Do you know the key of the success depends the capability and knowledge of the person?

Many times we can read some articles from web sites or from the media. But sometimes you have to use your own criteria and common sense.

You posted this thread in a good and understandable english and I think you are not going to lose your own language. Ask yourself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 22:38:36 |Display all floors

unify our language

Originally posted by shelleybelly at 2007-8-19 16:05

Those cities language more close to Mandarian wich u may find easier ...

China has too many dialects ,the most urgent thing we need to do is unify the spoken language
my foreign friends tell me that in the usa and canada such large countries ,the spoken language is basicly the same ,but take a look at China ,even different towns may have different spoken languages
so we have to strengthen the Mandarin 's position and spread it as the americans did in history
well ,i also think the dialects enbody much of the Chinese culture so should be preserved
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 22:44:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 2007-8-19 06:58

Singapore is not China...Singapore is a separate nation!...it has it's own constitutional rights to determine it's own official languages.

Would you like to see everyon ...

the singaporians are trying to restore the Chinese ,they have realized how valuable their mother tongue was to them
i do want see what happened in singapore repeats itself again ,even thouth the chance is so fat :)
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.